LRH weight of your rig

HunterGreen

Question, what are serious Long Range Hunter rifle weight these days ??

I have a remy 700 7mm mag with the works except barrel (still factory) Total weight so far 14.3lbs.

I have a ruger with custom barrel, custom work on stock. Weigh without scope 11.4Lbs

I carry them on every hunt and dont notice any ( oh its too heavy thoughts )... I enjoy less muzzle flip

Mine runs right at 12.5 pounds scoped with no ammo. I'm not overly excited about it as I would like a lighter rifle, but it is what it is.

Mac

The only reason I ask is because I just had a 6.5 built at 12.5 lbs with a heavy palma barrel! Curious how a sporter barrel package weighs 14lbs!

Browning A-bolt Micro Medallion in 300 WSM. Mostly stock with mercury recoil suppressor in butt (no brake up front). With scope it comes in right at 8 lbs. I consider this a medium range rifle out to 700-800 yds. because of the light weight of the rig.

Custom 6.5-06 AI on a Lawton action w/26" light varmint contour barrel. Sits in a Manners 90% carbon Hunter stock. With scope, right around 10.5 lbs. Legitimate 100 yds rifle.

277 Allen Magnum on rem 700 action. Wears a Nightforce NXS and sits in a McMillan A-5 stock with standard fill. Tips the scales at 13.5 lbs. Great 1,500 yd+ rifle.

Custom 338 Lapua Improved on a Stiller action w/30" Hvy Palma contour barrel. Nightforce NXS with McRee folder alum. stock. Build still in progress, but expect 14.5 to 15 lbs.

Obviously, the first two are carry guns, the last two are more pack in ,set up and wait for something to come into my field of fire.

This is my first bolt action LRH rig and as it sits. Scope, loaded mag, suppressor, bipod...it's right at 22lbs.
I carry it in my Eberlestock pack, get to my intended spots, and watch. Lots of wide open space, mostly rolling prairie but rough pine canyons are everywhere.
Just depends where I'm headed.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the occasional off hand shot if I had to, but that's not what it was built for. It's a dream to shoot prone.
I'm a young buck and packing 40lbs on a hunt isn't really a big deal.
If I were packing 70lbs through the mountains, this probably wouldn't be the right tool for the job.

Of course, I had to make two trips to get this buck out, one trip with my pack and the second for the dear.
Might have been able to do it in one trip if my rifle only weighed 6lbs, but not likely.

7mm_zps5dbb003b.jpg

131797_616037804616_186310290_o_zpsc88fea6d.jpg

This is my first bolt action LRH rig and as it sits. Scope, loaded mag, suppressor, bipod...it's right at 22lbs.
I carry it in my Eberlestock pack, get to my intended spots, and watch. Lots of wide open space, mostly rolling prairie but rough pine canyons are everywhere.
Just depends where I'm headed.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the occasional off hand shot if I had to, but that's not what it was built for. It's a dream to shoot prone.
I'm a young buck and packing 40lbs on a hunt isn't really a big deal.
If I were packing 70lbs through the mountains, this probably wouldn't be the right tool for the job.

Of course, I had to make two trips to get this buck out, one trip with my pack and the second for the dear.
Might have been able to do it in one trip if my rifle only weighed 6lbs, but not likely.

7mm_zps5dbb003b.jpg

131797_616037804616_186310290_o_zpsc88fea6d.jpg

Waynes word;

Were not worthy;Were not worthy.
7mm bee thee name

Okay here comes question of the day, when shooting prone do you place your butt stock close to neck or between shoulder joint ??
Secondly do you put butt stock directly on collar bone ??

Trued Rem 700, 28" #8 contour pac-nor chambered in 300 RUM .338" neck, Mcmillan A-5 stock, Bushnell Elite 6500, and Harris bi-pod. My rig weighs in at 17 pounds loaded.

Reuben

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 137
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.