Help with dedicated lighter weight hunting rig

The KS actions are pretty cool. I grew up in Edmonton, and have been a patron there for more than 20 years! If you are into sourcing domestically, check out IBI barrels. Ryan really knows his stuff! They've started offering.carbon wrapped as well. Actually there are a few good Canadian barrel manufacturers - Ron Smith, Bob Jury, Ted Gaillard,

I will be starting a 2021 270 WSM project as well here. Employing a Tikka action for this one, IBI barrel, Wildcat stock. I am most curious about the BAT vampire action in the 'something different' category, but not sure I'm ready to commit to the magnum boltface just yet.

I am having Shawn Carlock build me a 270 wsm +p right now. I believe we settled on a 22 inch hart #4 fluted, 1-7 twist for the heavies, terminus apallo lite Ti ,manners carbon fiber thumbhole stock, trigger tech, I think a nightforce 2.5x10 nxs and it will be threaded to run a suppressor.

Factory Tikka T3 in 300wsm, S/S.with the bolt stop swapped for a long action one. And aftermarket magasine so that you can seat your projectiles long. If you don't like the stock you can replace it with a carbon manners, you can get a factory fluted barrel, if you want it lighter, and you can even get the barrel cut to 22" and recrowned and threaded for or break or suppressor if you want a more compact option . Cut at 22" you are still ahead of where the fluting stops. It might not be as flash as a full custom rig but will be very close to achieving the same performances at a more modest price and without the long waiting time.

The KS actions are pretty cool. I grew up in Edmonton, and have been a patron there for more than 20 years! If you are into sourcing domestically, check out IBI barrels. Ryan really knows his stuff! They've started offering.carbon wrapped as well. Actually there are a few good Canadian barrel manufacturers - Ron Smith, Bob Jury, Ted Gaillard,

I will be starting a 2021 270 WSM project as well here. Employing a Tikka action for this one, IBI barrel, Wildcat stock. I am most curious about the BAT vampire action in the 'something different' category, but not sure I'm ready to commit to the magnum boltface just yet.
Well I was looking at ks or jc barrels. Have a ks currently and it hangs in there with my bartlein a and benchmarks. Cleans up super nice. Heard great things about jc as well.

I am having Shawn Carlock build me a 270 wsm +p right now. I believe we settled on a 22 inch hart #4 fluted, 1-7 twist for the heavies, terminus apallo lite Ti ,manners carbon fiber thumbhole stock, trigger tech, I think a nightforce 2.5x10 nxs and it will be threaded to run a suppressor.
Your going with a short action? Are you not worried about magazine length for the heavies?

Factory Tikka T3 in 300wsm, S/S.with the bolt stop swapped for a long action one. And aftermarket magasine so that you can seat your projectiles long. If you don't like the stock you can replace it with a carbon manners, you can get a factory fluted barrel, if you want it lighter, and you can even get the barrel cut to 22" and recrowned and threaded for or break or suppressor if you want a more compact option . Cut at 22" you are still ahead of where the fluting stops. It might not be as flash as a full custom rig but will be very close to achieving the same performances at a more modest price and without the long waiting time.

Problem is I'm looking for a 270 wsm and they don't have fast enough twists

Well I was looking at ks or jc barrels. Have a ks currently and it hangs in there with my bartlein a and benchmarks. Cleans up super nice. Heard great things about jc as well.

Sure thing, as you wish! I suggested IBI because of the carbon wrap. They are truly world class. Since you are looking to cut ounces, it might be worth a look. Can't go wrong with Karl and Sons though, they do great work.

Are you thinking 1:8 or faster?

Just built this for my wife. Same idea, light weight hunting rifle. Manners EH1 with CF cheek piece, Bartlein #4 @ 22.5", Tuebor TI action, Jewel trigger, APA bottom metal with Accurate mag, talley ring base combo, Swaro Z6, and Elite Iron TI can. 9Lbs 3.8 oz without sling or bipod.
It handles very nice.
Your goal weight should be fairly easy to obtain with some Titanium and Carbon Fiber.

Attachments

• 20201228_151709.jpg
    20201228_151709.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 102
Sure thing, as you wish! I suggested IBI because of the carbon wrap. They are truly world class. Since you are looking to cut ounces, it might be worth a look. Can't go wrong with Karl and Sons though, they do great work.

Are you thinking 1:8 or faster?
1:7-1:8 twist most likely the 1:8 twist. I looked at ibi and they didn't even offer .277 blank at all.
Just built this for my wife. Same idea, light weight hunting rifle. Manners EH1 with CF cheek piece, Bartlein #4 @ 22.5", Tuebor TI action, Jewel trigger, APA bottom metal with Accurate mag, talley ring base combo, Swaro Z6, and Elite Iron TI can. 9Lbs 3.8 oz without sling or bipod.
It handles very nice.
Your goal weight should be fairly easy to obtain with some Titanium and Carbon Fiber.
Beautiful looking rifle!

Your going with a short action? Are you not worried about magazine length for the heavies?
Terminus offers a 3" detachable magazine. Might be an issue if I decide to sling some 195 grain wildcats out of it but for the 169.5 I think I should be ok but only time will tell.

I also was looking at IBI for carbon wrapped barrel but unfortunately they are not offering a fast twist 25 cal at this time so I ordered a Hells Canyon Summit for my build Bighorn in BC.

I also was looking at IBI for carbon wrapped barrel but unfortunately they are not offering a fast twist 25 cal at this time so I ordered a Hells Canyon Summit for my build Bighorn in BC.

ibi isn't offering any .277 cals at all hence why they are out.
My hell's canyon chambered in 300 Norma is a shooter! You'll be happy with it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.