LR low recoil 6.5 or similar

Nothing to do with spotters. Learn to bring your own gun and learn to read a data card and
make sure it is on the gun.

Geez a myriad of mistakes by young whipper snappers who think they know it all and then try to bust on their elders.

In my defense....

I was the last one invited on the mountain, and figured I would be the last one to take a shot. Therefore, I brought my glass only. When I arrived on the mountain, I was informed by the landowner that whoever spots a bear, has the opportunity to shoot or pass. No worries, I was in the company of friends, who were world class shooters and rifle builders... I can read a range card. The range card given to me at the start of the party was not the correct range card for the rifle. The person that gave me the said range card is the person that owned the rifle. Days after the incident, it was finally figured out that the range card was incorrect.

Morale of the story....trust no one, especially if they are old, senile, and now physically challenged like you are.:D

You have no defense.......

No the moral of the story is "Old age and treachery will always beat youth and enthusiasm! "

You were so excited to go hunt you "forgot" your gun and now trying to blame the magnanomous elder who was trying very hard to mentor the "Little Grasshopper". You failed to grasp the Lesson "Bring your own gun"!_

The wrong range card story was made up and finally told to you so you would quit crying over your rookie mistake.

It is obvious you are not yet able "to grasp the pebble from his hand".

Aagh the the never ending wonders of youth and naivety.

I know its not a 6.5 but a braked 243 would work well. I know there not fancy or glorious at all but there's a reason a lot of kids start off with one. Low recoil in a light gun and with the right bullet would work really well up to 600 on whitetail

I can identify with your back problem, being 5 inches shorter than at 20. I found the 7mm Mauser to be a really soft shooting round. Not a long range round but that back might limit your ability to long range targets. Get a good Spanish Short Rifle and stick with old sights to make long range come in a little closer. Or if you are just after shooting and not hunting try a 22LR. Going for first round hits at 400 yards is sporting. If you find the rifle too easy just try it with a handgun. Don't cheat on the doctor's recommendations, it will cramp your style even more.

I have been thinking about you (not what your hoping), did some research on foot pounds and spinal injury's etc. We have to keep you in this sport. Consider these two options, a very large long range pistol and a light weight low recoil 6.5. I don't know your build but I will assume from your back ground you have not let yourself go. I would stick with the lapua your using add a muzzle break, I had a painkiller on my 260 rem and let me tell you is had no recoil. That will get you out to 800m plus on deer sized game. Now we have to get you a pistol for the bigger critters.

Jon

Good motorcycles,and bad horses made me the man i am today. I have one neck fusion, need at least one more. My 338 RUM was kind of in process, or I'd likely have gone another way. I dropped down to 180 Accubonds for rock shooting, carry mostly ATV, and its a workable if not ideal plan.

I have been thinking about you (not what your hoping), did some research on foot pounds and spinal injury's etc. We have to keep you in this sport. Consider these two options, a very large long range pistol and a light weight low recoil 6.5. I don't know your build but I will assume from your back ground you have not let yourself go. I would stick with the lapua your using add a muzzle break, I had a painkiller on my 260 rem and let me tell you is had no recoil. That will get you out to 800m plus on deer sized game. Now we have to get you a pistol for the bigger critters.

Jon

Jon,

That's why I recommended ...

How about switching to LR handguns?

IMHO, the hands/arms can better absorb the pounding of a LR handguns(perhaps I should have used LR pistol) than a rifle pounding to the shoulder that can easily transmit pain to the neck, spine, or back.

A LR handgun/pistol with an effective muzzle brake like what Ross Schuler is shooting in the videos ...

the .338 EDGE

or the .458 LOTT

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XruP-F8C7JU"]458-lott.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

... might be the ticket. Surely, the 6.5 will be more forgiving.

Good luck BH!

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Bounty Hunter....

Regarding your ORIGINAL QUESTION about which Caliber Rifle to recommend...
I would heartily suggest a .257 Roberts....which will give you almost what a 25-06 will do. (Although I personally would prefer a simple 7mm Mauser...which has somewhat better ballistics and a tad better "knock-down power".)

The .257 Roberts is a SWEET-SHOOTING LOW-RECOIL VERY EFFECTIVE "Big-Game" Rifle in the hands of a man that CAN shoot.

IF you can't shoot....get an RPG. Ha-Ha !!!

Best Regards ! :)

56 Wrecker

Bounty Hunter....

IF you can't shoot....get an RPG. Ha-Ha !!!

Best Regards ! :)

56 Wrecker

Been there, done that for 24 years. That is how I ended up with neck surgery and looking at lower back.

Hell, I even qualified with the old 202 FLASH which was a 4 shot 66mm LAWS type rockets that were all WP. One of those things would sure break up the crew hanging on the street corner.:D

Been there, done that for 24 years. That is how I ended up with neck surgery and looking at lower back.

Hell, I even qualified with the old 202 FLASH which was a 4 shot 66mm LAWS type rockets that were all WP. One of those things would sure break up the crew hanging on the street corner.:D

Ha-Ha !!!
I don't know nuthin' about "Willy Peter".....
I was only suggesting a .257 Roberts.

Whatever "Willy" OR "Peter" do....
I certainly HOPE that they DON'T do it around ME !!! :D

Ha-Ha !!!
just a SLOW Old Man...now.....but..."Once-upon-a-time"....
oh...nevermind.
BEST to YOU !!! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.