Accuracy and low recoil in a short action

Yorkplates

Where does the 284 Winchester fit in compared with 7mm-08 and 308? I like the extra case capacity that comes with the 284. Can it be harnessed into the same class of accuracy potential(under 400 yards)as the other two in a custom rig? I am excluding the 284 wildcats of course.

From the Gunweek article, you can see the accuracy potential. Like all rifles, how you build it and with what parts has a big effect. In horsepower, the 284 Win can match the 280 Rem with bullets up to 140 grains (which are the ideal weight for the case). Go heavier & the 280 will outdrive the 284. Out of a 22" barrel, I can run 2950 - 3000 fps with the 140 gr bullets. Pick the right bullet and you can shoot most critters around with good results and use a short action light rifle if desired. Just watch your bullet selection since pushing 3000 fps destroys many conventioal bullets upon impact. 284 outsteps both the 7-08 and 308 as far as trajectory and energy is concerned at most hunting distances. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.