Low recoil deer caliber

What do you think "Rifle WHT" in his table means? White rifle or Rifle weight?
That's my table listing: caliber, bullet weight, bullet velocity, charge weight, rifle weight, recoil energy, recoil velocity, and recoil impulse. 🤷‍♂️
This is calculator I used: https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

The table I was critiquing had; Cartridge, Recoil Energy, Recoil Velocity, avg Bullet Wht & avg Muzzle Velocity.

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
I used a Thompson Center g2 contender in 6.5 BRM from eabrown. I like the 1 shot for safety. I have the round and control it until the shot, then without question the gun is just inert metal. Best decision. Single shot for kids, many cartridges to pick from.

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
I like the 6.5 Creedmore and Savage makes a dandy for less than $500 bucks. If you shop Black Friday gun deals (bass Pro, Cabelas, Sportsman's warehouse, etc) you should be able to find a very good deal on one for anywhere between $350 to $400.00. The gun has very light recoil and shoots very, very accurately.

I the 6.5 Grendel is outstanding deer and antelope round I have harvested many with it I use the encore pro hunter action with match grade machine 26 " barrel 95 ttsx Barnes at 2900fps

243 is a great choice for a youth and I have seen elk taken with it also.
After giving, my Tikka, L-H, T-3, in .243 Win to My grandson, I replaced THAT Rifle with, a 6.5 Creed., L-H, Tikka T-3, for MY Deer / Antelope and UNDER,.. 500- 600 yard, Elk Rifle !
The 120 to 130 grain Bullets are, REAL "Pleasant" to shoot !
My Main all around, "Deer load", is the 143 gr. ELD-X's, tho !
A BRAKED, Savage or Tikka Rifle, in 6.5 Creed., ( or even, a 7mm-08 ) with, the "lighter 120 gr. bullets" & a slightly reduced load, would be NICE, for Kids, using, Muff / Plugs of course !

Last edited:
In bolt action a 243 or 25-06 will be plenty to take down deer yet still not have much for recoil. Not sure how you feel about AR platforms but I think the 6.8 SPC is a heck of a deer cartridge with little to no kick. I just shot an 8 pointer a couple of days ago with mine and it didn't make it more than 10 yards before it tipped over... exact same results on last years buck too. Got pass through, amazing bloodtrail, and the deer's insides looked like soup.

EDIT- just saw you are in Canada. Scratch my post.

I probably have a different approach so I will share. I have trained my 4 children as hunters, 2 girls and 2 boys. My oldest was a girl so I put her behind a 7mm-08 and told her she had to shoot a nice group under 4" or so to hunt. She had plenty of time behind a .22lr so no problem right. After the third shot she had tears in her eyes and her group was growing as her 70 or 80lb self was getting pounded. After that experience I needed a complete rethinking of my methods. I took all of the ammo and we just started dry firing. You are able to see everything you need to with dry firing. Watching the body position, trigger finger you can correct so many basic marksmanship issues. Then when I put her in front of and elk or deer she never missed. You just are not going to fear the gun if you only take heavy recoil shots at animals in the hunting situation with all of the adrenaline and excitement when they are young. I did the same with the other kids. My youngest daughter took her first deer with her first centerfire shot, and an elk at 375yds with her second centerfire shot. So... in a nut shell. Have them shoot 22lr. Use the right amount of gun for the animal. Dry fire only when they are very young with enought gun for the game and watch them make the shot on the animal during hunting season. It worked well for us.

The table was based solely on the AVERAGE weight rifle which I assume to be 8-9#.
Regardless, it does give some idea of where each cartridge will fall based on an average hunting rifle using factory ammo.
You are not going to magically take a rifle that averages 12# of recoil and make it recoil less than a 6# average recoil cartridge.
if you are loading light rounds in the 12# recoil, you can do the same in the 6# one.
Look at the table closer. It lists different weighted rifles. They are listed in the rifle WHT column which means rifle weight. It lists 7lbs to 14.9lbs, not 8-9.

Hmmm... I was going to say 243. I've got a couple and it's a cool caliber when used for what it's good at. Excellent for Antelope, for example.

But if you are a hand loader, I've really got to say 30.06 believe it or not. Why? Because it's so dam versatile and the gun will work for him for all his life, for nearly anything he'll ever hunt.

Loaded down with light loads and 125 grain bullets, it's a pussycat.

Loaded upwards with 180 to 220 grain loads, and it's good for anything in North America.

Very popular caliber, versatile, ammo and/or components easily available (normally). You don't need any specialized boutique caliber; the 30.06 can do it all, from gallery loads to the biggest animals this side of Africa. (And a good many there too.)

Vettepilot

That's my table listing: caliber, bullet weight, bullet velocity, charge weight, rifle weight, recoil energy, recoil velocity, and recoil impulse. 🤷‍♂️
This is calculator I used: https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

The table I was critiquing had; Cartridge, Recoil Energy, Recoil Velocity, avg Bullet Wht & avg Muzzle Velocity.
Thanks for the clarification and that calculator. That was definitely confusing without attaching what table you were referencing.

I like the idea of a 22/250. I would also invest in a Boyd's adjustable stock for your son. It has good chin rest and stock is adjustable and can be most as he ages.

30-30....limit shots on game to 50 yards, not because 30-30 isn't capable but because your dealing with the mind of a 9 year old. Teach him to get close to game. Don't scope a lever. If you can find a used Savage 340 bolt gun in 30-30 buy it!