Low recoil deer caliber

Lots of good options this day in time. My son killed his first deer and several hogs at 6 years old with a H&R handi rifle in 223. I put a youth stock on it with a kydex cheek riser and cut the heavy barrel down to 16.5". I also added a pretty fancy rattle can camo sponge paint job, per his request. I loaded 44 gr hammer hunters for it and it did really well on whitetails. However, it left a bit to be desired on bigger Texas hogs. He hunted with that rifle for several years and did really great with it.

After that, I had him a 6mm CM built. Zermatt origin action, proof 1-7.5 carbon barrel at 16.5", MDT LSS chassis with a 6 position AR style stock, timney trigger, Leupold VX5 3-15x44 & an AB Raptor 4 suppressor. He absolutely loves the rifle and shoots it really really well. I like shooting it too tbh!

As mentioned, there are a lot of good options these days. It really depends on what works best for yall in terms of handload or not, ammo availability and so on. The 243 or 6mm CM are pretty hard to beat IMO.

How long of a shot will you potentially let him take? You may have said, but I didn't see it.

I had my daughter start with a 22-250, and it shoots like a laser beam. Her first deer was a neck shot at 245 yards.

She wanted to shoot one of "mine" when she got bigger, so I bought some Hornady reduced recoil load for my .270 and she shot it very well. Plus if it was sighted in dead on at 100 yards with the reduced recoil loads, it was 1" high at 100 with the full power loads.

Now she shoots my 300 Win or 6.5x284.

I think the reduced loads idea is a very good one for kids, but reduced loads can create pressure problems as well. I know I loaded printed data in a 222 Rem and it almost locked up the Savage 24 I was using it in. I thought it was a double charge, and so I tore down all those I had loaded, carefully weighed each charge and continued to use the gun for Turkey, and squirrel. Several rounds later it did it again. I've not messed with reduced loads since. Something about that gun and that powder bullet combo that was not right, and I didn't care to repeat it for a third time. There are several reduced recoil factory loads and I have heard plenty good about them. Keep your shots relatively close starting out, and as he grows he can continue using the rifle. So many good calibers, but I do like the 7mm-08, and the 7x57 Mauser.

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
One thing I found to be really important is to make sure the rifle fits the shooter. Felt recoil is reduced by proper stock fit! As he grows you can shim the recoil pad or get a new stock.

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th the 7mm-08 suggestions, certainly plays nice in the recoil department and will knock down any deer you'll ever see with a proper (and properly placed) bullet.

For a low recoil rifle to be used at the range & for deer size game I like the 6mm Creedmoor. This cartridge has everything you need and more.

I'm getting in a little late on this post; however, here is my two cents. When both my daughters were in junior high I bought them Sako bolt action 25-06 rifles. I handload, so I loaded them 100 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and these rifles have performed well and recoil is not bad at all. Now my daughters are 28 and 26 and they still use these same rifles with much success. Also, I have a nephew who got a 7mm-08 when he was in junior high. I loaded up 120 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for him and those loads were wicked for whitetail deer and recoil was minimal. It all depends on the game you are hunting and if your quarry is whitetail size I think the 25-06 and 7mm-08 are excellent choices for low recoil guns that will provide an ethical clean kill. There has been lots of good feedback on this post and I realize the smaller size bullets (smaller than .257) are lethal; however, remember to put yourself in all scenarios (shooting a deer right before dark on an evening hunt, etc.). Shot placement is paramount; however the reality of it is young and newer hunters may not always make that "perfect shot" (and you cannot always expect them to) so it is always good to have a little "forgiveness factor". If you drop a deer in its tracks, doesn't matter what caliber you use--dead is dead. Just remember that this scenario does not always happen so you want a round that you know will perform when the time comes. Thanks

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
Try a .257 Roberts. It will serve him well the rest of his life. I started all three of my sons on one.

I raised and taught 4 sons to shoot and hunt starting with 22's for varmints and small game and a 300 Savage for deer. There are a lot better choices out there today and my sons are taking advantage of that with my grandkids, buying them guns with youth stocks that fit and low recoil calibers. My youngest granddaughter (10 years old) shot her first deer yesterday November 5 with a .260 Remington, she is very tiny and shoots it very well, like my other grandkids she started out with. 22's, .223's, and. 410 shotguns. My youngest grandson (9), shoots a. 300 Blackout with a suppressor very well and I think that's what he'll shoot his first deer with next year.

.223 IS the answer!

It is the lowest recoiling, cheapest to practice with, and is far more capable than most people are willing to accept. No need for added weight, or a muzzle brake to tame recoil.

Practice being the most important part of the equation.
Practice = confidence = being deadly.

There is a thread on another forum about
".223 for bear, deer, elk and moose"
With modern bullet design, some need to unlearn what they have learned.