Lost River Ballistic Tech Bullets

sheephunter

Does anyone have actual hunting results with these solids?I hear they fly very true and accurate,make nice holes in paper too.so I bought some.Now I hear that they dont expand at high or medium velocity,just make a nice laser hole.I would load them in 300RUM 140gr

thanks,sheephunter

Not yet, but soon I will. I bought some J40 Match bullets (220 grain) for my .30-378 and I plan to hunt this season with some 180 grain J36 Hunting Bullets. They havn't arrived yet but I will keep you posted. I would learn as much as you can about them like I have, you don't need to but you should enjoy it. After reading about them I won't use anything else.
Alex

I am waiting eagerly for the results here.Frankly we need realtime hunt reports.I think or will accept that the J40 as well as the J36 have great ballistics - if they fly in your rifle,BUT ,they are solids.The question or concern that needs to be disproven is that they indeed do damage
The Sierra Matchkings at high speed of the 300 RUM or similar at intermediate distances,lets say 300-600 y may just blow up,too soft a bullet,although fine for 1000y.
The solid bullets will show the reverse:at short to intermediate distance I would guess they will not expand and pencil thru the target.This is assuming no heavy bone is hit.

sheephunter

NightHawk
Do you have a 1:8.5 twist or faster barrel if not according to the email I got from them you need to push the 220 gr .930 bc bullet at 3300 fps or they say it will not work.
I have some of their bullets and have yet to work up load data for them.

That is one significant problem with these long bullets.Because of the needed twist I am limited to 140gr bullet in my 1/12 barrel.
That is OK c me,if the bullet opens up

sheephunter

My barrel has a 1/10 twist. I got my J40's today and they are spooky lookin. I also got the load data for the J36's and there is a picture of Doc Mosdell (part owner) with an elk he shot with a j36 over 700 yards with a .30 cal. That sounds lethal to me. I will hunt with the J36 and shoot with the J40 (because they are cheaper). If anyone here uses J40's for a .30-378 with a 220 grain would you be willing to share your load data?
Thanks

I would not use a J40 ror hunting because it is a target bullet and does not expand. I would leave that up to the J36. Unless you want super long range accuracy and don't care if it expands.

Who told you that they don't expand, that was the whole point of the J36 to begin with is to expand at close to super long ranges. I used those J40's the other day and my dad made multiple shots though the same hole. When i tried it my shots looked like that of a shot gun because I let the barrel get too hot. I have yet to try them again.

NH: here is a very informative link to terminal performance of hunting bullets http://www.mindspring.com/~ulfhere/ballistics/methods.html#solids

the author emphasizes to shoot the solids at low speed to prevent shearing of the petals.
Something that defeits my purpose of choosing them over N Partitions for instance.
The wound channel is depicted as very narrow as virtually no expansion takes place,even worse when the petals are off.
I am not sure how these graphs compare to wound channels in live meat,as cavitation is supposed to cause a lot of action-I said supposed to.I ead of a very dissatisfied shot on Saeeds forum

sheephunter

NH: here is the copied note from actual experience at saeeds forum:

"
posted 02-09-2002 10:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was shooting a LRT 140grn out of my 280AI at 3150fps. I shot a mule deer at 340 yards, in the chest. The bullet went completely through the length of the deer and exited above the tail. The deer was still standing, so I put another round threw the lungs which put him down but not dead. Dressing the deer out, it was apparent that the bullets did not expand. Maybe I did not have enough velocity. To bad, this bullet was the most accurate bullet I have ever fired in this gun and was so flat shooting it compared to a 300 magnum.
"

sheephunter

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.