Lost River Ballistic Bullets

tsmiller4

Anyone have any experience with these. Ballistically they seem to be far superior to anything I've seen. Is their construction reliable. Seem solid but far too expensive to experiment with. Any info appreciated

if you have a production barrel i wouldn't even consider them. with solid copper bullets,the fit of the bullet to the bore is critical for accuracy.jacketed bullets will swage into the bore making a near perfect fit,that's why it's easier to get them to shoot.solid coppers will not do this.also, if the muzzle end is any bigger than the chamber ,you will never get them to shoot.this is why most of the solid coppers are a rib or banded style of bullet.it allows them to be more forgiving in regards to the bullet/bore fit.this is why Barnes copied GS Custom and Groove bullets, and introduced their triple shock design.if you have a premium grade,hand lapped type barrel,they will probably shoot well.i tried some in my 700 rem and they shot terrible.the owner worked with me and was very nice.after a couple of months he refunded my money.as far as nothing will touch them,i assume you're talking about B.C., you might want to try some wildcat bullets.most would consider them to be the A,T and T of long range hunting.

They will shoot in my Savage 300 RUM but have to load them super short O.A.L.The j36 180 gr. they probably will not work in many rifles but worth a try.

The J36 135 gr .277 shoots wonderfully well in my 270 Win W/Lilja bbl. In the .5 MOA range and velocity @ 3200 MV. However @ 2 bucks a pop they are a bit steep even to come up with an emperical drop chart. But calculated drop chart worked pretty well.

Shot one coyote @ about 40 yds - duh! Looking at the exit wound I'd say it expanded as designed. Hole about the size of a quarter.

Sent a box to a fella in PA who was shooting a Win Coyote. They didn't do for squat. Something like 2" @ 100.

HTH

I have been playing around with them for a while. I tested them in new barrels and found that once you unlocked the secret as to what the barrel prefers, the Lost River bullets shoot extremely well. I have a 30 super (8MM rem mag necked to .30) with a 26" barrel and I shoot the 140gr J36s at a tad over 3550. The load will shoot dots.

I also Will be working on the 165gr J36s with the new 30-338 Lapua Improved (long range thumper) next week. Expecting 3700+ fps out of the 32" barrel.

Lightvarmint

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.