lost river ballistic technologies bullets?

does anyone have any experience with these bullets. i was looking at the 140gr for my 7mm ultra mag w/32" douglas. it claims to have a .644bc. the 160gr claims .715bc. it's listed as a hunting bullet with match grade characteristics. you can find it's add in cabelas 2004 shooting catalog, pg.25. thanks
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure Lost River Ballistics went out of business a couple of years ago. They had two lines. The J36 were expanding jacketed lead and the J40's were copper alloy solids. The Hunting bullets had higher than typical BC and the J40s were such low drag that most people didn't believe their numbers.

I have about a dozen boxs of the 7mm 162grain (BC=.774) and 30 caliber 220 gn J40s, BC=0.930!!. I even built two rifles for them them but I haven't shot any. As I see it they only offer advatages at extremely long range, out around 1800 to 2200 yards with a 7mm STW or a 30-378 Wby, maybe a 7mm or 300 RUM. At that range it's nearly impossible to hit anything just because of drop and wind even if there were no stability problems.

Yes, I do believe the calcualted BCs but such long skinny bullets apparently have secondary stability problems (precession) and enough time to stabilze that they don't offer accuracy advantage even at 1000 yards unless maybe in strong winds. Besides, they cost more than a dollar per shot and I don't want to waste them without setting up enough instrumentation to really find out what they're doing. I don't have the time.

My advice would be to forget they ever existed. I still want to play with them but my expectations are not high. If you can find J36s they're probably more useful but still very expensive. I don't know much about them.

does anyone have any experience with these bullets. i was looking at the 140gr for my 7mm ultra mag w/32" douglas. it claims to have a .644bc. the 160gr claims .715bc. it's listed as a hunting bullet with match grade characteristics. you can find it's add in cabelas 2004 shooting catalog, pg.25. thanks
smile.gif

I loaded these in 7x57, 7mm Rem Mag & 308. Very accurate BUT they don't open up on whitetails. I lost 5 deer in 2008 all well placed shots with the 7x57. I don't believe the company is still in business and I have many bullets to sell or trade.

I have shot the 140's and the 160's in 7 mag and have found them very accurate. I have taken 1 elk w/ 160 and 5 deer w/ 140 but have found the 140's do not open well on whitetails.
If you want some I have 2 bxs 140 and 1 bx 160 you can have for a junior's price.

Salter

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.