Lost Rangefinder...now what :(

Bigeclipse

Hey guys... I lost my rangefinder during my apartment move. It is either lost forever or MAY be packed away somewhere. Unfortuntalely I have looked and so far no dice. My issue is, bow season starts in less than a week and I am low on cash and time to find the other one in all the stuff we packed up. I am looking for a rangefinder (200$ or LESS) that will work for bow season but can range to 400 yards (maybe not deer but at least trees/ridgelines). the reason I say this is, if I cant find my rangefinder...this new rangefinder will have to range up to 400 yards for this hunting season as the farthest ranging I can range is in a 400 yard field. Also, please dont say "buy used on ebay" because I have to find/buy this in a local store...again, I only have a week before opening day and dont want to risk the rangefinder not getting to my house in time due to shipping. My plan is...spend the next couple days looking for my old rangefinder...if I dont find it by the end of this week...go to a dicks sporting goods, gun shop, or walmart and buy a new (budget model rangefinder) that will get me through this hunting season. I will save up for a new leica or something comparable for next year.

Needs:
1. 200$ is the absolute MAX
2. Need to be able to find it in a local sporting goods store like Dicks, walmart(walmart would be a plus as I get 10% off there but it is not necessary), gunshop.
3. Hopefully can range to 400 yards somewhat accurately. Yes this is MAINLY for bow BUT again if I dont find my old rangefinder I will have to use this for gun this season.

check out walmart.com if you get a discount there...they have a few models that have what you are looking for.

I'd recommend this then upgrade next year:

Bushnell Sport 850 ARC Laser Rangefinder, Waterproof Rangefinder, Pocket-Sized Rangefinder, Black Rangefinder, Bushnell Rangefinder

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully they have it in stores as I dont want to order something online just in case its not shipped here in time for hunting season next tuesday. I know they had a few the last time I was there but the only model I remember was the Nikon Prostaff 550.

If 400 yards is your limit, try you hand at mill-ranging. I found that I could be very effective using a reticule to range out to 400-450 yards and was decent to 600 yards.
As for bow season, cant help you with that one... If I have a bow in hand it doesn't have training wheels, so no need to range it. Its gotta be close (sounds tough... but I still haven't shot anything with the stick and string:rolleyes:!).

I bet you find it anyway. I always do.

If 400 yards is your limit, try you hand at mill-ranging. I found that I could be very effective using a reticule to range out to 400-450 yards and was decent to 600 yards.
As for bow season, cant help you with that one... If I have a bow in hand it doesn't have training wheels, so no need to range it. Its gotta be close (sounds tough... but I still haven't shot anything with the stick and string:rolleyes:!).

I bet you find it anyway. I always do.

bow is tough...the difference between a 30 and 40 yard shot is pretty large so you really need to know the distances of near by objects to determine how far the deer is away when you go to shoot and using a rangefinder to range some nearby land marks makes it easy.

I did something similar. "lost" my Nikon 1000 yd rangefinder and went and bought a "better" Monarch 1000 yard rangefinder. Problem is that the optics on the Monarch rangefinder are much poorer than its cheaper brother and it does not range nearly as reliably as its cheaper brother either.

Shortly afterward I found the original and the Monarch has remained as a backup ever since.

update: I went through everything and still did not find it so I will be headed to dicks sporting goods and other places to check out some budget models to get me through the season. thanks for the advice everyone!

For what it cost I had good results with the Redfield, I used it on a pronghorn hunt and was able to range out to nearly 300 yards nearly every time in most conditions and I could hit rocks/hillsides at a little over 500 if everything was perfect. I think it should fit your needs and your budget.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.