Lost 100 fps after 550 rounds

Mc Fraser

Hello,
I have a carbon barrel that lost about 100 fps after less than 600 rounds. I looked at my order history, I have 400 bullets ordered, 100 that a buddy bought for me and 80 factory loads. I would appreciate some thoughts on the matter.
I went to the gun range two weeks ago and noticed that I'm low at 550 yds. I went back over the weekend with my labradar, and MV went from 2975 to 2877 I shot 50 rounds after a good cleaning.

History:
  • 300 PRC, 78.9gr N570 not even close to max pressure, Hammer Hunter, defiance action, premium carbon wrapped barrel.
  • I got the rifle 2 years ago from the smith, didn't have time to do load development, bought 4 boxes of Hornady factory ammo, broke in the barrel, 15 shots cleaned after 3rd, and then cleaned after every 10th. I did that for 3 boxes, and kept one for hunting. I did not have a Chrono. Shot a cow elk at 800 yds and a deer at 400.
  • After the hunting season ended, we started load development and did a ladder test with H1000, Retumbo, and N570 - 50 bullets were used to find a velocity node. Found 2975fps to be consistent with N570 and 214HH.
  • Moved to depth seating with N570, and another 100 bullets went down the barrel.
  • Everything up to 550 ish was used for practice.
  • I should mention that my ES is 3 and SD 1.4 on a 5-shot average.
  • Equipment used: Redding type S dies, Forester press, AutoTrickler with FX120, the list goes on, but I pretty much have premium tools.
  • Cleaning: Carbon rod, bore paste, usual cleaning supplies like first choice (pretty much what competition shooters use). The cleaning performance is checked with a borescope. I never used brass brushes, only nylon.
  • Observations:
    • My first thought was the FX120i. I have yet to verify the load against another scale, but I reload for 2 other rifles, and their velocity has not changed.
    • I have not changed my reloading process, but I have not excluded me factor.
    • The Labradar I used over the weekend that yielded 2877 fps, was different from the one I used for load development.
    • The rifle still shoots well, 1/4 MOA at 100 and consistent 2 inch groups at 550 yds. I have access to another range that goes 900 yds, last time when I was there I shot 3 in groups. I have access again next week.
    • I am planning to take the rifle to my Smith, I checked the barrel and it looks fine but he has decades of experience.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Hello,
I have a carbon barrel that lost about 100 fps after less than 600 rounds. I looked at my order history, I have 400 bullets ordered, 100 that a buddy bought for me and 80 factory loads. I would appreciate some thoughts on the matter.
I went to the gun range two weeks ago and noticed that I'm low at 550 yds. I went back over the weekend with my labradar, and MV went from 2975 to 2877 I shot 50 rounds after a good cleaning.

History:
  • 300 PRC, 78.9gr N570 not even close to max pressure, Hammer Hunter, defiance action, premium carbon wrapped barrel.
  • I got the rifle 2 years ago from the smith, didn't have time to do load development, bought 4 boxes of Hornady factory ammo, broke in the barrel, 15 shots cleaned after 3rd, and then cleaned after every 10th. I did that for 3 boxes, and kept one for hunting. I did not have a Chrono. Shot a cow elk at 800 yds and a deer at 400.
  • After the hunting season ended, we started load development and did a ladder test with H1000, Retumbo, and N570 - 50 bullets were used to find a velocity node. Found 2975fps to be consistent with N570 and 214HH.
  • Moved to depth seating with N570, and another 100 bullets went down the barrel.
  • Everything up to 550 ish was used for practice.
  • I should mention that my ES is 3 and SD 1.4 on a 5-shot average.
  • Equipment used: Redding type S dies, Forester press, AutoTrickler with FX120, the list goes on, but I pretty much have premium tools.
  • Cleaning: Carbon rod, bore paste, usual cleaning supplies like first choice (pretty much what competition shooters use). The cleaning performance is checked with a borescope. I never used brass brushes, only nylon.
  • Observations:
    • My first thought was the FX120i. I have yet to verify the load against another scale, but I reload for 2 other rifles, and their velocity has not changed.
    • I have not changed my reloading process, but I have not excluded me factor.
    • The Labradar I used over the weekend that yielded 2877 fps, was different from the one I used for load development.
    • The rifle still shoots well, 1/4 MOA at 100 and consistent 2 inch groups at 550 yds. I have access to another range that goes 900 yds, last time when I was there I shot 3 in groups. I have access again next week.
    • I am planning to take the rifle to my Smith, I checked the barrel and it looks fine but he has decades of experience.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
The shooter next to you "Stole" some of your ammo.

Your throat has eroded enough to drop velocity, it's normal.
To get the velocity back, you need to add powder, not chase the lands.
My barrels for F-class do this throughout a season about 3-4 times and at the 6 month mark may get a setback and re-chamber depending on the amount of haze cracking.

Cheers.

N570 ate it up. Just add powder, and you'll continue to have to add powder throughout the rest of the barrel life. It's not a one and done fix. It'll continue to erode and lose pressure, and you'll have to continue to add powder. N570 is vicious
This thread has me thinking. Tikka 6.5 PRC, 1 in 8 twist, was running 60 grains RL26 behind 124 Hammer Hunter at 3365 FPS, 1.6 inch groups @ 200 yards ( our range only goes to 200 ). Lost accuracy and 40-50 FPS late in summer so cleaned to bare metal, bore scoped and found very significant fire cracking in throat @ 350 rounds through barrel. Is RL26 hot or abrasive enough to do this? HELP!