Lost 100 fps after 550 rounds

Hello,
I have a carbon barrel that lost about 100 fps after less than 600 rounds. I looked at my order history, I have 400 bullets ordered, 100 that a buddy bought for me and 80 factory loads. I would appreciate some thoughts on the matter.
I went to the gun range two weeks ago and noticed that I'm low at 550 yds. I went back over the weekend with my labradar, and MV went from 2975 to 2877 I shot 50 rounds after a good cleaning.

History:
  • 300 PRC, 78.9gr N570 not even close to max pressure, Hammer Hunter, defiance action, premium carbon wrapped barrel.
  • I got the rifle 2 years ago from the smith, didn't have time to do load development, bought 4 boxes of Hornady factory ammo, broke in the barrel, 15 shots cleaned after 3rd, and then cleaned after every 10th. I did that for 3 boxes, and kept one for hunting. I did not have a Chrono. Shot a cow elk at 800 yds and a deer at 400.
  • After the hunting season ended, we started load development and did a ladder test with H1000, Retumbo, and N570 - 50 bullets were used to find a velocity node. Found 2975fps to be consistent with N570 and 214HH.
  • Moved to depth seating with N570, and another 100 bullets went down the barrel.
  • Everything up to 550 ish was used for practice.
  • I should mention that my ES is 3 and SD 1.4 on a 5-shot average.
  • Equipment used: Redding type S dies, Forester press, AutoTrickler with FX120, the list goes on, but I pretty much have premium tools.
  • Cleaning: Carbon rod, bore paste, usual cleaning supplies like first choice (pretty much what competition shooters use). The cleaning performance is checked with a borescope. I never used brass brushes, only nylon.
  • Observations:
    • My first thought was the FX120i. I have yet to verify the load against another scale, but I reload for 2 other rifles, and their velocity has not changed.
    • I have not changed my reloading process, but I have not excluded me factor.
    • The Labradar I used over the weekend that yielded 2877 fps, was different from the one I used for load development.
    • The rifle still shoots well, 1/4 MOA at 100 and consistent 2 inch groups at 550 yds. I have access to another range that goes 900 yds, last time when I was there I shot 3 in groups. I have access again next week.
    • I am planning to take the rifle to my Smith, I checked the barrel and it looks fine but he has decades of experience.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
We're you using a different batch of powder ?or a fresh powder or powder from a keg you have used for your work up sounds like you have covered everything else im also a seasoned reloader good luck I will be monitoring this thread you have gotten my attention now I'm curious have a safe day

For barrel cleaning, I don't use any abrasive paste, for copper just Wipe Out with accelerator, Montana Extreme or Hoppes Elite (for carbon). Nickel plated jag and a nylon brush (if required). I figure if the barrel is broken in properly and the patch goes down smoothly, then I don't need an abrasive.

My last 65 Creed barrel started sending random flyers at 1100 rounds. It was a tack driver until then.
Was the Barrel made from,.. Spanish or, Chinese,.. Steel ??
Most, 6.5 Creed shooters, get from, 2,500 minimum to, 3,500 rounds of, Barrel "Life".
I got 950 accurate rounds, out of a .270 Weatherby Mag that was, "Honkin' On" ,.. most of, the Time.
For a 6,5 PRC,.. 1,100 rounds "seems" about,.. "Right",..
6.5 Creedmoor, ahh,... NO bueno

Last edited:
My last 65 Creed barrel started sending random flyers at 1100 rounds. It was a tack driver until then.
Did you bore scope the barrel. Was the throat gone, lands worn out? Was there maybe a carbon ring, which will cause flyers. I find it very surprising that a quality barrel in 6.5 Creed went off after that few rounds. Bartlein makes a very good barrel, not known for being too soft. Seems like something else had to be going on.

No carbon ring. Firecracking about as much as I usually see in barrels with that round count. Shooting 153.5 Bergers at 2530 fps using R23.

Since this was a comp gun I just pulled it. I'm not taking any chances.

<edit> I plan on putting that barrel on an action to keep in the house for coyotes and in case I see an elk on the property. I saw four pass through in the spring and I know they're around so I bought an OTC either-sex tag that runs through January 31.

Last edited:
To answer a few questions:
  • I don't care about barrel life. 500 rds vs 3000 rds is the same for me—just a few more barrels.
  • The purpose of this thread is to find the culprit so I can take appropriate measures. Increase powder or order a new barrel.
  • With mono bullets, it is pretty straightforward; the more velocity you have, the further you can take an animal. Where I hunt 800 yds, shots are pretty standard.
  • Thank you all for your input. Very valuable to me.

Update: I measured the distance to lands, and I only lost 7 thou. Safe to say it's not that erosion?
I'm waiting for the Xero C1 to go on sale in December to buy one. That should be a good indication if one of the labradar was off. The other suspect might be the abrasive paste, I'll take the rifle to my smith after the hunting season is over.