LOP

Baboltin

So I have a question for you all, I have always shot standard LOP stocked rifles, for my whole life. Being as though I am 6'4" and probably could benefit from a longer LOP stock, would you suggest I swap out all of my stocks to a longer LOP stock on all of my rifles? What is the pros and cons to a longer stock for someone built like myself? Or is the benefit really worth the cost it would be to swap out multiple stocks on multiple rifles? Thanks.

So I have a question for you all, I have always shot standard LOP stocked rifles, for my whole life. Being as though I am 6'4" and probably could benefit from a longer LOP stock, would you suggest I swap out all of my stocks to a longer LOP stock on all of my rifles? What is the pros and cons to a longer stock for someone built like myself? Or is the benefit really worth the cost it would be to swap out multiple stocks on multiple rifles? Thanks.
Measuring LOP can be tricky and might change with shooting positions or affect the necessary eye relief with scopes. Below is an excellent video on measuring LOP.

I am not as tall as you but at 6.1 with long arms I started out with custom builds with longer LOP at around 14-14.5+. The last two years I started going back to more normal LOP. Here is what I found. I didn't mind the longer LOP 15 years ago and thought it helped. I had not tried these rifles with the normal LOP. I found it was wonky going from my longer custom LOP rifles back to standard. Since going back to a shorter LOP I found I shoot my customs way better now( manners GAT and MCST). My rifles balance and cheek weld are now better and I find I am more steady. A big factor is off hand or bench shooting as it is more comfortable now with a normal LOP. I didn't have to do much due to Manners stocks having ample spacers. I removed 1 inch off my MCST after i improved my 260 and shoot it much better now. That caused me to remove the same inch off the GAT and it feels much better as well. This is just my 2 cent but it made a huge difference in how my shooting is now. The shorter stock helped balance out the front end considerably for me.

I am not as tall as you but at 6.1 with long arms I started out with custom builds with longer LOP at around 14-14.5+. The last two years I started going back to more normal LOP. Here is what I found. I didn't mind the longer LOP 15 years ago and thought it helped. I had not tried these rifles with the normal LOP. I found it was wonky going from my longer custom LOP rifles back to standard. Since going back to a shorter LOP I found I shoot my customs way better now( manners GAT and MCST). My rifles balance and cheek weld are now better and I find I am more steady. A big factor is off hand or bench shooting as it is more comfortable now with a normal LOP. I didn't have to do much due to Manners stocks having ample spacers. I removed 1 inch off my MCST after i improved my 260 and shoot it much better now. That caused me to remove the same inch off the GAT and it feels much better as well. This is just my 2 cent but it made a huge difference in how my shooting is now. The shorter stock helped balance out the front end considerably for me.
So you shoot short stocks now and have gone away longer lop stocks?

So you shoot short stocks now and have gone away longer lop stocks?
I shoot factory LOP stocks, so shorter than what I had been shooting with my customs. So around 13.5 LOP now. I found the normal LOP to be much better for me on every level and was more Natural going back And forth between firearms and helping others sight in their rifles. the rifle balances better and is much easier to shoot offhand accurately.

I shoot factory LOP stocks, so shorter than what I had been shooting with my customs. So around 13.5 LOP now. I found the normal LOP to be much better for me on every level and was more Natural going back And forth between firearms and helping others sight in their rifles. the rifle balances better and is much easier to shoot offhand accurately.
Hmm that's very interesting and maybe it's not worth the extra effort to have a longer stock

I thought this would be the cheapest way to see for sure you want to get a longer LOP .

here is a couple links .

this one adds 3/4" or 1" depending on the needed size

full selection

I cut a stock down for my grandson . I cut it off in two pieces , so I can add it back on , as he grows . I also bought a LOP adjustable recoil pad for him . I'm not sure how well it would work on a full size stock, it's a little loose on this small cut down stock .