Stock LOP

From a production stand point, the major manufacturers have addressed about as much variability as their bottom lines will allow. Heck, it's only been fairly recently that the south-paws have been able to buy equipment made for them. As a quick side note, Savage has recently introduced something along the lines of a semi-customizable stock, with a variety of recoil pads, spacers and cheek pieces.

Building molds, I know that the customer is going to squeeze every nickel out of them (including running them past their maintenance schedule -- as long as it's making good parts it's making money). Why? Making an injection mold is an arduous process that often reveals several needed revisions along the way, and when said mold runs upwards of $1M you can bet that it's going to take time for the ~$10 in plastic/shot to pay off the mold. The company is going to have already determined that the sales will be there to support the project.
Yes, there is a market for longer LOP stocks, the aftermarket. Places like Boyd's fill that market, because it's easier to shift a work offset on a CNC one-off than to build, set-up, run, maintain, tear down, and store numerous, sporadically used molds. Or, as another poster said, just buy a much much cheaper (by comparison) spacer.

Spacers/shims work well when the recoil pad isn't glued on. Still challenging to get the right look when the stock is heavily angled.

Great point about the LH shooters.

I'd add they often have youth models with shorter stocks. They don't even generate a significant amount of sales, but yet it's available.
Could even have it as an aftermarket option.
I'm certain there's a market for longer lop stocks. Wish factory gun manufacturers would address the demand.

Two excellent points. Youth models are often available which would help smaller but older shooters too.

Stocks are often common to many models. So a range of available sizes available as an OEM aftermarket option might be a huge hit and a money maker. You buy the rifle at an FFL Dealer, and then order the right size on line direct from the OEM. I'd order 50 H&S precision stocks from Remington tomorrow! Heck, I wouldn't even care if they were all standard LOP! H&S wouldn't be happy though. I'm sure Remington's cost to buy in volume is a tenth of what I have paid H&S in the past. I just bought one last month in red on black and it was over $500. I've seen whole Remington rifles with the same stock (in std green on black) on sale for $650.

Business is business I guess......

Have to ask why virtually all factory and aftermarket stocks have a 13.5" lop.
I need a 14" lop and its always a new stock and a significant upcharge. At 6' tall, I can't be the only one needing / benefiting from a longer lop.
So, is everyone else cool with 13.5" or am I a freak?

For some reason European made rifles tend to have a longer LOP. Schultz and Larsen are 14", Sauer 202 is 14.5" and the Steyr Classic has a 14.75" LOP.
The latest Sauer 100 comes standard with a 14.5" LOP but can be ordered with a longer recoil pad the stretches the LOP out to 15.1".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.