Federal's new Long Range loads--Long range trophy bondeds

Finally got to try and shoot these things today! It's the 7mm 155gr, loaded in my 28 nosler. 80gr of h1000, WLRM primer, seated 15 thou off the lands. 3325fps, out of a 27 inch barrel, .56 MOA three shot group on the very first load! Loaded up 5 more and I'll be shooting a five shot group tomorrow. I think I could get it well under 1/2 moa, there was a ton of mirage today and I felt like I pulled a shot. Will have more info tomorrow. Happy 4th everyone!

Well, shot a 5 shot group this morning. Cold bore shot was dead on, followed by 3 that went into a .421 inch group.... pulled the last shot as usual when I haven't shot in awhile. I'm really surprised at how clean the barrel is in this new load. Not sure if it's the h1000 and winchester primer combo, or the nickle plating on the bullet, but ether way, I can't see any copper in the barrel. I'm going to stick with this load and borrow my buddies lab radar to check velocity SD and ES. Then start working on a drop chart. Two months till archery season and three until rifle season!!! Should have this load figured out just in time to test on deer, elk and antelope!

Attachments

• 20190705_095153.jpg
    20190705_095153.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 136
Just an update to keep this thread going... very excited about this bullet, but I have found one negitive thing to say about it.

Firstly, the good news. I've gone out two more times and this bullet seams very capable of sub 1/2 moa accuracy. My barrel, which has been copper fouling badly with every other bullet, shows no signs of copper to this point.

Bad news, I noticed that as I seated the bullets, I could see with my naked eye that the groove in the bullet was closer to the case neck on some rounds then others. So I measured base to ogive on all my loaded rounds and they were consistant within .0015". So I pulled out a few bullets from the box and measured from the base of the bullet to the bottom of the groove. I noticed a .030" varience on where the groove was located on the bearing surface :/

It doesn't seam to effect 100 yard accuracy, but my worry is it will effect the drag and balance of the bullet at greater distances. When I get a nice day with no wind or mirage, I will go shoot some groups at distance and see if it holds 1/2 moa.

I'm hoping this will not effect the bullets performance, but I'm the kind of person, when I spot differences with my naked eye, I know it will always bug me.

What bugs me so bad about the bullet is that the ogive is so far forward that it comes into contact with the rifling way earlier than a Berger bullet so you have to shove the bullet way down into the case on my Bergara factory rifle. On a custom rifle it would be different. But with this 200 Gr bullet in my 300 win mag, I can only fit 73-74 Gr of powder before I'm crunching powder super bad. With the 215 Gr Berger, I can get 77-78 Gr of powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.