Length of pull with some aftermarket stocks and whats your preferred LOP

droptine

I'm a fairly big guy, broad shoulders etc. I like 14 1/4 to 14 1/2 lop. With that said I have quite a few with standard 13 1/2 lop stocks. A decent scope eye relieve is about 4 inches which makes 14 inch plus's lop fit me much better than standard.

I was on Grayboe's website looking at stocks and the Terrain model which is my favorite has been replaced with a model called Eagle or Eagle Pro. The LOP for Eagle is 12 3/4 without spacers. It takes 5 spacers to get to14 inches. Starting out that short just doesn't seem to make sense.

If I'm making a wood stock from a turned wood black I can set lop whatever I want, I cut at that length. With an aftermarket fiberglass stock I have to throw the recoil pad away and grind another. It's not the end of the world to grind a pad on a finished rifle buts I prefer not to.

I'm not sure many manufactures offer spacers, maybe they do and I'm not aware. I'm oticed Sauer 100 rifles come with lop 14 1/4 if I recall correctly.

Just curious as what others think on length of pull, what do you like etc. Do some of you guys buy spacers and grind a new pad etc., comments pleas.

Thanks Billy

When I started shooting everyone was taught to stand bladed to the rifle and lay angled to the rifle. Now everything is taught and shot square for prone, barricades, and tripods. The rifles that I set up based on bladed from 20 years ago are about 1/2" too long for me to be comfortable shooting square. So instead of 13.25-13.5, I'm using more like 12.5-12.75 as a preferred LOP. I really like my HNT 26 for a light weight stock. It came short and I ended up adding two spacers. I have a KRG bravo, that I only added one spacer.

I've never warned up to shooting squared up. I know it's a more modern practice. I'm not formally trained either. Shooting off sticks hunting in Africa or off a trackers shoulder would seem hard to do squared up. I always felt like a hard kicking rifle needed a little more lop. I've never used a bipod, kinda seemed like defeating the purpose putting one on an ultralite rifle for example hunting at high altitudes, Alaska chasing Caribou etc. With all that said it would not hurt this old guy to get up to speed modern shooting practices. Might change my mind on length do pull lol.

I've a wing span a tad over 6 foot 9, and have two stocks at 14.5. The rest are fairly standard 13.25 stocks; but I don't fit in most things so just adapt. Also scour the internet for reviews that describe the stock as "blocky" or "like a 2x4" usually those are my favorites.

I shoot a 14.5" 686, but I'm 5-10". That's ducks and doves, hot and cold either or.
Are my knuckles supposed to be dragging?

13.5" is the shortest rifle I like.

When I started shooting everyone was taught to stand bladed to the rifle and lay angled to the rifle. Now everything is taught and shot square for prone, barricades, and tripods. The rifles that I set up based on bladed from 20 years ago are about 1/2" too long for me to be comfortable shooting square. So instead of 13.25-13.5, I'm using more like 12.5-12.75 as a preferred LOP. I really like my HNT 26 for a light weight stock. It came short and I ended up adding two spacers. I have a KRG bravo, that I only added one spacer.
I don't think this difference in technique is covered enough & how we setup our rifles.

I used to shoot a lot of competition 3 Position smallbore.
rifle but in "pocket of shoulder"
heavily bladed stance, no external rifle support

New(er) PRS / Competition method
rifle but on collar bone, as close to centerline as possible
square behind rifle, with rifle on some sort of support

It has always been known we want "bone on bone contact", muscle is inconsistent, and to find a rest that doesn't involve stress whenever possible, but all the shoulder is a big mess of muscle & tendon.

both ways work, but rifle setups are completely different, I learned this the hard way when I shot a wounded muley off-hand at 200 yds with a 300 WM. form was perfect but rifle wasn't tight enough in my shoulder and she scoped me pretty good.

My older rifles running a bladed stance were 13.25-13.5", but my new HNT26 I'm setting up from a more square approach. 12.5" almost feels too long, my scope will be all the way back in the mount. (I'm 5'10" & 180#)