Length Of Pull

Catfur

I'm short, with stubby little T-rex arms, and I'm pretty sure that the rifles I have now have too long a LoP. I'm wondering if there is a formula, or good method for determining an optimum length before I go having them shortened, or if trial and error are my only methods.

No idea how accurate it is for everyone, but I was once told that if you place the rifle vertically, with the butt stock in the crotch of your elbow/forearm joint, that the trigger should hit right at the first joint of your trigger finger.
It has held true for me. I have a simmilar problem, but opposite appendages. I have super long monkey arms, & a long neck, combined with big palms, & stubble fat fingers, for a guy who's only 5'-10". (My "wingspan is 6'-3") guess I'm a freak:D but I'm the midget of my whole family. I've had to increase many stocks from the standard LOP, & move scopes quite a ways forward to be comfy when I cradle a rifle into my shooting positions.

Try shouldering a Ruger 10/22 for comparison in LOP. They feel Soooo short, compared to many centerfire factory stocks. Maybe it'll give you an idea where to start anyway. Good luck

I am with winmag on this one. The elbow trick works for me as well. When I got my first rifle adjusted to the proper lop shooting altogether changed and became fluid and easy.

Yikes, by the crook in the arm method, my trigger finger doesn't even reach the trigger, let alone the trigger resting at level of the first knuckle. I need to knock a whole 1-1.25" off if that's correct. No wonder it feels so bloody awkward shooting these (Savage 110 & 116).

Yay, T-rex arms!

I am on the other end and have to add 1.25"-1.75" to every factory stock out there but when you get it fit to you It will be allot easier to settle behind the rifle, get stable, comfortable and much smoother to track or recover after the shot. It really is a big deal and worth doing.

I am on the other end and have to add 1.25"-1.75" to every factory stock out there but when you get it fit to you It will be allot easier to settle behind the rifle, get stable, comfortable and much smoother to track or recover after the shot. It really is a big deal and worth doing.

+1 on everything in this post. (even the 1-1/4"+ add on's:D)
But the second part about a propper fit making things smooth, & comfy is very important for the O.P. to understand. It's a whole new world. No more bloody noses, or scope eye, or adjusting your head, & neck, trying to find a comfy spot. Just a propper, solid fit that is easily repeatable. Absolute Consistancy shrinks groups, & without a propper fit there is no consistancy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.