Looking to Upgrade Rangefinder

Would like some opinions on late model rangefinders you have experience with. What were your likes and dislikes. I currently have a Leica 1600-B that has been great but I know many improvements have been made in the areas of speed, beam size, distance, etc. I'm getting ready to retire (again) and want to start shooting some PRS matches with some already retired hunting buddies so I will be using the rangefinder for both hunting and competition. I was too cheap to buy a Kestrel so I use Geoballistics Ballisticsarc with the Weatherflow Weather Meter and accordingly don't really have a need for one that links with a Kestrel. That is unless someone can convince me that the Kestrel is much better.

Would also like to keep the cost to 1K or less if possible so that leaves out rangefinding binoculars.....Except the Vortex Fury with my military discount. Anyone who has used the Fury please let me know what you think about it. I've heard the Leica 3500 is an amazing rangefinder on its own but has bluetooth issues. Just too many darn choices out there. Thanks in advance for your advice.
I have a Vortex. It did give some trouble early-on in that it gradually began losing range, (showing only shorter & shorter distances). I called them, sent it back & in about 2 weeks I got it back & it works great. Other than shipping from my end there were no charges, no return shipping, no required receipts, no anything. Just like they promise.

Echo the sentiments on Doug being a great guy w excellent pricing and Leica (I jumped in on the 2800). My purchase was a true upgrade as I was using a Bushnell Elite from early 2000's
I will say that my primary and usual use is hunting.

I upgraded from the Leica 1600 and Kestrel 4500 with AB, to the Leica 3500.com and Kestrel 5700X Elite. They work well together, you need to get used to the Bluetooth and how each unit functions when using it, and keep them within 6 feet of each other. It was nice for me as the Leica are physically the same, but the 3500's ranging is incredible in comparison. The new Kestrel 5700X has a faster computer on board and is definitely worth the extra, the Bluetooth signal power is user tunable too. That is more for military security reasons, but I kind of like that capability. When I had the 1600 I felt it was only really good to 800 yards, by that I mean ranging an IPSC target reliably. With the 3500 I feel it dose that well out to a mile! Which I also believe is the practical leathality imit of my .338 Lapua, certainly more than enough for my 6.5 PRC Desert Tech SRS. Here's one way I like to use them.
20200706_203424.jpg

I upgraded from the Leica 1600 and Kestrel 4500 with AB, to the Leica 3500.com and Kestrel 5700X Elite. They work well together, you need to get used to the Bluetooth and how each unit functions when using it, and keep them within 6 feet of each other. It was nice for me as the Leica are physically the same, but the 3500's ranging is incredible in comparison. The new Kestrel 5700X has a faster computer on board and is definitely worth the extra, the Bluetooth signal power is user tunable too. That is more for military security reasons, but I kind of like that capability. When I had the 1600 I felt it was only really good to 800 yards, by that I mean ranging an IPSC target reliably. With the 3500 I feel it dose that well out to a mile! Which I also believe is the practical leathality imit of my .338 Lapua, certainly more than enough for my 6.5 PRC Desert Tech SRS. Here's one way I like to use them.View attachment 247098
That's awesome! How did you put that setup together?

I'm not a fan of a Kestrel — in my view it sets an awkward reliance upon technology. You have to learn to read windage across the ballistic arc, and not assume wind at the shooting position is consistent to target. The other elements of a ballistic calculator, while helpful, are not essential, or at least, not a substitute for experience. On the other hand, a Leica rangefinder or pair of range finding binoculars is essential. Since I'm not concerned about connecting with a Kestrel, and don't see much value in trying to hit a buck at near 3500 yards, the less expensive and reliable Leica CRF 2800 fits the Bill nicely. If my retirement checks were much larger, I'd agree that a pair of Leica rangefinder binoculars would be lovely, but again, what price glory?

I'm not a fan of a Kestrel — in my view it sets an awkward reliance upon technology. You have to learn to read windage across the ballistic arc, and not assume wind at the shooting position is consistent to target. The other elements of a ballistic calculator, while helpful, are not essential, or at least, not a substitute for experience. On the other hand, a Leica rangefinder or pair of range finding binoculars is essential. Since I'm not concerned about connecting with a Kestrel, and don't see much value in trying to hit a buck at near 3500 yards, the less expensive and reliable Leica CRF 2800 fits the Bill nicely. If my retirement checks were much larger, I'd agree that a pair of Leica rangefinder binoculars would be lovely, but again, what price glory?
"In my day we walked up hill in the snow. Both ways. And we liked it."

I don't think anyone is assuming consistent wind from shooting position to target.

Would like some opinions on late model rangefinders you have experience with. What were your likes and dislikes. I currently have a Leica 1600-B that has been great but I know many improvements have been made in the areas of speed, beam size, distance, etc. I'm getting ready to retire (again) and want to start shooting some PRS matches with some already retired hunting buddies so I will be using the rangefinder for both hunting and competition. I was too cheap to buy a Kestrel so I use Geoballistics Ballisticsarc with the Weatherflow Weather Meter and accordingly don't really have a need for one that links with a Kestrel. That is unless someone can convince me that the Kestrel is much better.

Would also like to keep the cost to 1K or less if possible so that leaves out rangefinding binoculars.....Except the Vortex Fury with my military discount. Anyone who has used the Fury please let me know what you think about it. I've heard the Leica 3500 is an amazing rangefinder on its own but has bluetooth issues. Just too many darn choices out there. Thanks in advance for your advice.
You can find the Sig Kilo3000BDX binos with rangefinder for shy of $900. Use either with a Sig BDX scope or dial with non-BDX scope. The 3000BDX is ballistic solution limited to 800m without linking to Kestrel. I use with a Kestrel so not range limited. The reason behind range limitation is the Sig binos do not have weather data sensors. That feature in the Kestrel is what extends beyond the 800m limit of the binos alone. The Sig gives a lot of glass and ballistic function flexibility for the dollars.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.