Looking to purchase a scope for a newly purchased savage 220f slug gun.

CHARLIEDUECE65

I am currently looking at the Zeis conquest 3x9x40, comparable Minox, and the Sightron sii big sky 3x9x42. The big sky scope has the 75.00 dollar rebate right now and would be the cheapest of the three. Any opinions?

Last edited:
Anyone have these scopes and want to share their opinions? I really like Sightron opitcs. If Zeis has better glass how much better and what advantage would it be for the purpose I will be using it for. Thanks.

Just my thoughts from having done this last year...

Heck of a lot of scope for a gun that will probably never shoot 250 yards. I know that the shotgun-specific scopes that are available are not exactly premium as I looked at any and all I could find, but I decided to go with a Nikon myself for my 12 gauge and the reticle subtensions work out very well with my gun and their BDC reticle. With the scope you mention you will sight in for 1 point (probably between 100 and 150 yards) and that's it. At the rate the slugs drop your effectiveness beyond 150 yards will be minimal.

I purchased the 2-7 which is more than good enough for the effective distance of a shotgun, and is also the power I've used on my 30-06 for almost 30 years.

Good luck in your scope search.

I recommend the Nikon Slughunter. Shotguns have a lot of recoil and the eye relief is nice. I have split my head open using a riffle scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.