Looking to buy a 308 Battle Rifle

I have one built and one kit with Imbel receiver on the shelf. It is as accurate as the Armalite AR10 heavy barrel I had back in the 90's so I sold the AR10. I had two M1A's which I loved but sold them because I have the FAL STG-58. But for home defense I'll go with my AR15's using my 53 gr VMAX loads. For predators the 53 gr VMAX worked great. I'll be testing the 73/ 75 gr ELDM for yotes out to 550 yards in a couple of months. Anything farther will be dispatched with the 260 AI or 7mm RM.
To me "battle" rifle and 308 FN-FAL, Sig SG-510, H&K G1?/CETME and M14? those were the battle rifles. I have a Springfield factory version for the FN-FAL with IMBEL receiver. I have an AR-10 but do not consider that a battle rifle

Last edited:
To me "battle" rifle and 308 FN-FAL, Sig SF-510, H&K G1?/CETME and M14? those were the battle rifles. I have a Springfield factory version for the FN-FAL with IMBEL receiver. I have an AR-10 but do not consider that a battle rifle
Look at the op's criteria. But I agree a battle rifle technically is your selection of rifles. A true battle rifle is a poor fit for the OP's criteria. Post# 10. I'd use a modern AR10 for a battle rifle. It's been proven in recent excursions.

Look at the op's criteria. But I agree a battle rifle technically is your selection of rifles. A true battle rifle is a poor fit for the OP's criteria. Post# 10. I'd use a modern AR10 for a battle rifle. It's been proven in recent excursions.

;)

I am Leaning hard towards that

LMT MARS-H .308 16′ Chrome Lined Barrel – Black

This should fit the bill out of the box and if i want to play it has a lot of options. Do not know if other calibers are an option?

In House I have several Sig Sauer, HK pistols in 40sw 357 sig and 9mm so it is not my only Home defense item.

Like to buy once cry once.

Barrels are switch barrel on mine with two screws you can pull barrel and swap it out for another.

Barrels are switch barrel on mine with two screws you can pull barrel and swap it out for another.
... and then you have to re-zero your optic for your new barrel.

on my ARs, i pull two pins and switch the whole upper. I keep the optic dedicated to the upper/barrel so I don't have to re-zero.

all of my AR-308 lowers have the same buffer & spring combo, I have adjustable gas blocks on the uppers, so once it's calibrated, the upper will work with any of my lowers. Gotta love that modularity.

I think that's even easier. just my opinion, that's all.

... and then you have to re-zero your optic for your new barrel.

on my ARs, i pull two pins and switch the whole upper. I keep the optic dedicated to the upper/barrel so I don't have to re-zero.

all of my AR-308 lowers have the same buffer & spring combo, I have adjustable gas blocks on the uppers, so once it's calibrated, the upper will work with any of my lowers. Gotta love that modularity.

I think that's even easier. just my opinion, that's all.
On the LMT Could you not when you first rezero record the clicks side to side up down and it be that simple??

What Brand system did you go with???

I have to LR308/ AR10's. Both are 20" barrels with medium profile barrels. Not light by any means. They are fairly heavy 10 lbs plus without scopes or loaded magazines. For me I am 6'5" 270 lbs so it's not a real big deal. So what is a battle rifle for me may not be for you in terms of ability to carry and swing it around .

I did see a video by Colin Noir reviewing a Saint Victor 308. It has a carbine stock and 16" barrel with an 3 port brake. The rifle just seems very well balanced and easy to manipulate . So I'm thinking of converting one of my 308's to that.

Home defense. I have 9 mm over a few spots in the house. Three different gun cases. Next up, shotguns with 4 buck. If I live through that, AR's with "high cap mags". Doubt it will ever happen but look at Israel. Doesn't hurt to have good knives and a sword or two. Living in a large urban area has it's downside. Home invasions here are way up since covid.
This reminds me of when my furnace was serviced two years ago. I was looking for the light switch but found one of my 9MMs instead. Yes, I have a weapon in every room in the house. The furnace is accessed to the basement bathroom/laundry room.

I see you're in California - I was born in NAS North Island, and my home of records is Fairfield, CA; I left the state in 1989 and never looked back. L🤣L, sorry, I couldn't resist. Here in MT, if somebody is stupid enough to break into an MT household, they deserve what is coming to them. 😇

I am Leaning hard towards that

LMT MARS-H .308 16′ Chrome Lined Barrel – Black

This should fit the bill out of the box and if i want to play it has a lot of options
. Do not know if other calibers are an option?

In House I have several Sig Sauer, HK pistols in 40sw 357 sig and 9mm so it is not my only Home defense item.

Like to buy once cry once.
Then don't complicate it unnecessarily; go for it.

Recent Posts