Looking to buy a 308 Battle Rifle

As a civilian, there is no scenario where you can legally shoot some one with non-lethal or less-lethal ammo. If you use a firearm, it is considered lethal force. If you're justified in using lethal force, you're going to want it to be lethal. If not, lethal force isn't justified, now you are the criminal. Right or wrong that's how it works.

Obviously if one even thinks they may use a firearm in defense, they need to be well versed in the laws and not be taking internet advice!

I do agree 308 for self defense is a terrible idea!
You can use less than non lethal like a Taser. I'd look at each individual state's laws regarding less than lethal. But using say "birdshot" through a shotgun thinking that's less than lethal is a recipe for disaster. Birdshot can certainly be lethal.

I think it was agreed long ago in this thread, it's more looks than "battle", nothing wrong with that premise.

Everyone has to think their scenario thru, add kids or family to the mix, and it's not hard to understand why excessive force is just really enough force to eliminate the threat. I don't advocate to injure, I advocate you use enough force to eliminate or overwhelm the threat.

Being married to a service member who was in battle, is all it took to fully comprehend how sideways things go when you least expect. Her last "battle" ended her military service, she came home with scars, her best friend didn't come home at all. Because of that, my thought process is skewed, there should never be a fair fight.

We can play ring around all day, it's up to the OP and the individual to decide what they need, now want, we can discuss that all day at nauseum.

Well, no matter what... the old adage is still true in a home invasion, "carried by six or judged by twelve." Over my lifetime, I've seen the best and ugliest in mankind... there is no end to what criminals or desperate people might do. No home is a fortress, my rule; "it's easy to get into my home, the hard part getting out." Personally... I wouldn't shoot anyone for material objects, nothing other than the preservation of an innocent life, or my own is worth it, but... test my resolve and they'll find out where their ends and mine begin... if I have to survive the first contact "nothing" is off the table. I'm not pointing at anyone's comment(s) here, just saying how I feel about the self-defense issue that came up.
Yes, you do need to understand what constitutes justified homicide, look at your state laws, or call the County Prosecutor's office.
Just my 0.2 Cheers

Well, no matter what... the old adage is still true in a home invasion, "carried by six or judged by twelve." Over my lifetime, I've seen the best and ugliest in mankind... there is no end to what criminals or desperate people might do. No home is a fortress, my rule; "it's easy to get into my home, the hard part getting out." Personally... I wouldn't shoot anyone for material objects, nothing other than the preservation of an innocent life, or my own is worth it, but... test my resolve and they'll find out where their ends and mine begin... if I have to survive the first contact "nothing" is off the table. I'm not pointing at anyone's comment(s) here, just saying how I feel about the self-defense issue that came up.
Yes, you do need to understand what constitutes justified homicide, look at your state laws, or call the County Prosecutor's office.
Just my 0.2 Cheers
Yep! My doors are locked for their safety.

We're not limited to Vietnam era ammo in 5.56/.223 anymore. But still, "DRT" is WAY more dependent on shot placement (CNS) than brass headstamps.

5.56/7.62x39 won't bother you at all at 300yds? Or are you talking about shooting aircraft with small arms?
Are you saying my 5.56 or 7.62 won't hurt you at 300 yards and if you are would you like to test out that theory?

Yep! My doors are locked for their safety.

Back when I was a young man, early 20s, I went to an extended family reunion outside of Hendersonville, Tennessee. My grandfather's 2nd cousin was a rowdy cuss. We were in a bar and he was introducing us to everyone and raising a dust. A dude pipes up and tells him to shut up or leave, he told the guy, "I own 2 things that I know how to use well, a rifle and a backhoe!" Dude walked out without a peep and the party went till daylight.

There are some people that you should just avoid, problem is we have people who aren't good at figuring out exactly who they are.

Just wondering where you all live to need a 308 as home defense. Or multiple weapons hiding around the house. Would think that one hand gun within a fast reach in the house would be plenty. But then iam not scared of my shadow either..
You do realize you are on a site about firearms?

It may have been mentioned as there is 11 pages, and I apologize if so. However I have shot many rounds though a Scar, MDRX, and FAL. I would take the MDRX (20in the 16in is loud close to your face), FAL and then scar in that order. The scar imo is overpriced for what you get, especially after FN said that suppressors void the warranty.

I don't understand your question. What work would the smith be performing?

I guess I missed the build it yourself aspect. Will look further.

Charlie's Custom Clones is pretty well regarded as a poor place to use to purchase a rifle.....unless you're a cloner.

C

So is this doable with out a gunsmith???

Absolutely, buy the appropriate tools and vises and YouTube your way thru it. Take your time and test fit, do a dry run and then knock it out of park. You can rent a torque wrench if you need to. I use No Mar blocks and clamps.

There isn't any gunsmithing required with this kit. The only tool needed is the LMT torque wrench for the barrel bolts. Any torque wrench with the appropriate bolt interface will also work.

The lower receiver is already completely assembled. The buttstock just needs to be slid onto the receiver extension. The upper receiver is completed also. The barrel is held in place by two bolts....the same bolts that are removed in order for the user to change barrels. It just needs to be slid into place, and then the two bolts inserted and torqued down.

The website's price is quite good, but since you can't backorder it, I don't know if that's the price it would sell for if/when it becomes available again.

Last edited: