Looking to buy a 308 Battle Rifle

motrapper

1st on the list is the

FN AMERICA SCAR 17S NRCH 7.62mm 16in 1x20rd FDE Rifle (98541-2)

2nd

Sig Sauer MCX Spear

16 inch barrel
Can I do any better???

Do you have a specific suggestion?
What's the intended use?

I have two. I have a Springfield Armory Loaded sitting in a Sage chassis and scoped that will ring an 8" gong all day long at 600 yards. I also have a Rockola with an 18" barrel I'm intending to use as a woods/brush gun. Both shoot great. Lots of fun.

20 round mags are the standard but they have 5, 10 and 15 round mags as well.

Intended use is Home defense, combat training and predator control/hunting
A 7.62 battle rifle wouldn't be my first choice for home defense. A little too much mustard if you miss. I live in a neighborhood where a miss would likely result in a round entering a neighbor's house.

I'd probably point you to a newer platform for combat training. AR-10 or a SCAR? Someone else with experience with these can jump in and help you here.

As far as hunting goes, any of the above mentioned will work.

Depends on what's in your home! People and critter wise I'd go shottie than rifle. If you go scar you will be limited to nato ammo. Many other people state it won't cycle home rolled or hunting ammo? Could be internet blah blah blah though? SOCOM and scar will be a heavy SOB!

Seekins sp-10

I have a the "m" model which has a rock creek barrel , and hand fit by the seekins custom shop. Tack driver with bergers.

About same price as scar.

Ive had 1/2 a dozen m1a variants to include douglas barreled ones great guns, but cant stand scope height drives me nuts cleaning them is a pain vs seperating upper and lower on a AR.

Another one to consider is the scar 20s.

notional urban (red dot sight) 308 battle rifle:

20230806_144518.jpg

P1020533.JPG

top: 13.9" barrel (P&W), bottom: 16" barrel

Last edited: