Looking to buy a 308 Battle Rifle

I don't understand your question. What work would the smith be performing?

I guess I missed the build it yourself aspect. Will look further.

Charlie's Custom Clones is pretty well regarded as a poor place to use to purchase a rifle.....unless you're a cloner.
It is a Kit and as I have never purchased a Kit was wondering Just how hard it could be.
Now I have disassembled AR15s, Semiauto shotguns, HK and sig Pistols and Marlin Lever guns till there was nothing left to pull apart and put them back together.
Just didnt Know if a Kit needed headspace gauges etc Now that I have never done

So Charlies is a place to avoid for guns Sales. Fake Parts????

This is easy peasy. These barrels are designed to be removed and replaced by the end users. Head space is set from the factory and doesn't even "need" to be checked.

The only time I've ever swapped an MRP barrel was at a gun range. We removed two bolts and pulled out the 308 barrel. We slid the other barrel into position, inserted the two bolts, and used the LMT wrench to torque them down. It took a couple minutes tops.

My guess is that it'll take you about 4 minutes to assemble the kit into a complete rifle, once the torque wrench is retrieved.

I wouldn't call this a kit rifle. Those typically need to be completely assembled: lower parts kit installed, barrel installed into the upper receiver with a barrel nut, handguard installed, receiver extension installed, etc.

Last edited:
To some it's just semantics, but to me there's a big difference between "built" by the owner and "assembled' by the owner. That's not to detract anything from assembling the parts into a functional firearm, there's just a lot more that can be done and that is where "built" comes into play. Strongly suggest a lot of reading if you want to "build" one (bamban's early link is one good place to start - search that page for more from that author because there's some really good stuff there, Zediker's books are another decent place to look into).
Youtube University has lots of classes on how to assemble one.

Last edited:
I agree with ntsqd. Unless an 80% lower is used, ARs aren't built by customers.....they're assembled. This one hardly needs assembly....little more than what's done as part of a standard field stripping for cleaning endeavor.

Charlies doesn't sell fake parts or rip off it's customers....it's just geared towards providing specialized components and rifles for individuals that are attempting to clone a weapon from the past. The "clones" that they acquire or build are priced at a level that those that buy clones seem happy to pay.

To some it's just semantics, but to me there's a big difference between "built" by the owner and "assembled' by the owner. That's not to detract anything from assembling the parts into a functional firearm, there's just a lot more that can be done and that is where "built" comes into play. Strongly suggest a lot of reading if you want to "build" one (bamban's early link is one good place to start - search that page for more from that author because there's some really good stuff there, Zediker's books are another decent place to look into).
Youtube University has lots of classes on how to assemble one.
Since we are playing with semantics, they are not battle rifles. But then again, we said that before

If I had to choose a "battle rifle" I would take one of my Stag Arms over just about any rifle out there only because mine have proven to be 100 percent reliable and absolute tack drivers. My stag pursuit 308 has a 16 inch barrel, Timney trigger, ambi safety, ctr stock, and weighs 7 pounds 11 ounces which isn't bad at all for an AR10. If I was planning on using it for home defense I definitely wouldn't be running the scope I have on it though.

Attachments

• 20240121_183017.jpg
    20240121_183017.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240121_183300.jpg
    20240121_183300.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 18
16-inch in-service Armalite carbine:
Any additional info on rifle/unit?
The Rio de Janeiro Military Police Special Forces Battalion replaced their Colt M16A2 Carbines and FAL rifles with Armalite AR-10 Carbines and AR-10T sniper rifles in 2014, two years before the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics.

The Armalite retains 7.62 NATO but drops two pounds and eight inches length. Think M4 in 7.62. As delivered:

BOPE Carbine.jpg
1705893710092.png
1705893864558.png
1705894203062.png
1705893975000.png
1705894104796.png

Last edited: