looking to build a 257 weatherby

So I can get a 116 savage in 300 win mag. In stainless. Would this be a good start to building a good hunting rifle in a 257, will the rounds feed in the 300 win mag. Clip?

If you are an experienced handloader, I would look to the .25-06 AI 40* Shoulder.

I have both a .257 Wby and a .25-06 AI. Both of mine shoot ****-near identical velocities, but the .25-06 AI does it with less recoil, less muzzle blast, and about 10-15 less grains of powder.

Just something to think about.

Were I am from. 25 rifles are not sought out and I feel that the negatives of the 257 are outweighed by the value of the name id if I ever decied to go to a 6mm and sell this rifle.

The lack of good high bc .25 cal bullets is a detraction, as is the high cost of the brass. Have you given any thought to just necking the .300 WM down to .25 cal?

The lack of good high bc .25 cal bullets is a detraction, as is the high cost of the brass. Have you given any thought to just necking the .300 WM down to .25 cal?
I have some specimins I've made in my "lab" (reloading room :D ), and it looks to be WAY too overbore to be worth the money to build, and I'd estimate less than 500 rounds of useable barrel life....Be it WinMag or Wby Mag (you just said WM, so I'm not sure which you mean). Even the regular .257 Wby itself if massively overbore for the bullet diameter & current weights available. If we had a 130+ grain high BC .25 caliber bullet available to us, then the .257 Wby would be the best option to push it, IMO. However, we don't... So, with all that said and done, the .25-06 AI is the most efficient of the 1/4-bores in the +3,200 fps category, with our current bullet selection available to the public. Once again, IMO, from doing extensive hands-on with both calibers.

But, I am far from an expert, I'm just throwing out this info so it might spark a fun debate for us 1/4-bore enthusiests to discuss. :D

Maybe I wasn't clear. I want to get a prethreaded barrel for this gun in a 257 . I wanted a 257 that is more than just an off the shelf rifle and thought that the 116 in stainless would be an easier start as it has a barrel nut so I can headspace it myself and it has a accu-trigger so I wouldn't have to have a timmy trigger put in to have a good trigger.

I respect the ideas about the 25-06 but if it has to be reloaded for to have rounds the gun simply is not worth as much as one in a 257 would be when it is done, with all other things equal.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I want to get a prethreaded barrel for this gun in a 257 . I wanted a 257 that is more than just an off the shelf rifle and thought that the 116 in stainless would be an easier start as it has a barrel nut so I can headspace it myself and it has a accu-trigger so I wouldn't have to have a timmy trigger put in to have a good trigger.

I respect the ideas about the 25-06 but if it has to be reloaded for to have rounds the gun simply is not worth as much as one in a 257 would be when it is done, with all other things equal.
You're right, and $88 a box of 20 rounds is totally worth it... Vs. spending $250 on a press and starter kit, and $100 on a set of dies and $25 on a load manual. :rolleyes:

I would love to hear how a rifle is not worth as much in monetary value because it has to be reloaded for... Please explain. :cool:

Maybe I've missed something but why not just leave it a 300 Win mag.? The 300 winnie is pretty darn versatile.

If something smaller than a 300 win mag is more to your liking and staying with a Savage rifle, I'd highly recommend a Savage in 6.5-284. There is a really good assortment of factory ammo available for the 6.5-284. Factory ammo with premium bullets can be bought in the $50-55 where as ammo loaded with premium bullets for the 257Wby is usually in the $80 range.

Opinions will certainly vary but I believe the 6.5-284 will do everything a 257Wby can do, but better and the 6.5 will do it for less money.

But, if a 257Wby is what you believe you must have, it's your money, spend it however you want.

There used to be 150+ grain .25 cal bullets available....... But, not anymore.

Yes, I meant Win Mag necked down to .25. You could neck down the .300 Weatherby Mag too. I believe a STW necked down to .25 cal is called the .257 Hot Tamale.

Just like many of the long range guns, they aren't made to be long range paper punchers. My 7mm AM is overbore too, but for the performance that it delivers, I'm content screwing on another barrel when this one wears out. Keep it cool and it'll last longer.

I doubt that you'll get the repeatable accuracy from factory loads that you will get from handloads.

I like the idea. I did one about a year ago and still love it. I have many others but love my 257 Roy. Still working on loads and its getting better. I did a 28 inch tube and no 25-06 is gonna run at that speed. Remember the roys need longer tubes to get them going.

So I have a 220 swift, a 7mm REM mag. , a 30-06, a 416 and a 338 saum. So I want something I can shoot that 80 to 100 grain varment rounds for bobtail on windy days and still shoot a white tail or black tail at over 400 .. so that is why I want a 257

I like the idea. I did one about a year ago and still love it. I have many others but love my 257 Roy. Still working on loads and its getting better. I did a 28 inch tube and no 25-06 is gonna run at that speed. Remember the roys need longer tubes to get them going.

I love it when people doubt the .25-06 AI..... I'm running 3,400 fps with 110 Accubondd and 3,300 with Berger 115's. Which is exactly what my .257 Wby runs them at with 10-15 more grains of powder. Oh, and both of mine have 26" 1:10 twist barrels. Both are factoy barrels. The .25-06 AI is a worked custom Sendero SF, and the .257 Wby is a Weatherby Accumark.

I'd love to hear your personal experiences of both calibers side by side to elaborate on your theory of how "no 25-06 is gonna run that speed"...

BTCM
Why not buy a 257 Webee Mag., Mark V, 26" barrel. Slap a Sightron Target scope on it, Harris bipod, sling of your choice. Add the reloading equipment, powder, primers, bullets, brass, reloading book.

You will need to learn to handload to get the max out of this combo! Norma brass, IMR 4350, CCI 250 Mag. primers, Nosler BT 100 gr. bullets for a start. Read the reloading book over and over and over.

I have been using this combo for 28+ years, barrel is original, one thousand three hundred seventy eight rounds gone bye bye. This outfit stills shoots minute of Groundhog and Minute of Whitedeer.

If you will not handload, buying factory 2506 is a easier on the wallet, shoot them in the 2506 AI. Best wishes on what YOU Decided...the 257 roy is a blast to shoot little things far away...........................................................................................drt

Hogginking

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.