Looking for the right caliber

Somis

Hey I'm brand new to the forum, as well as a little green to ballistics etc. (I'm 24 by the way).

I'm looking at getting a rifle that can whack coyotes down to squirrels for pest control with range up-to 600 yds

I have a few rifles already so I was hoping someone could steer me in a good direction.

I have

10/22
17/22
.22-250
.270 win

243 fits that bill nicely. The 22-250 is a close 2nd but unless it's a fast twist your stuck with light bullets and that makes it tough to shoot in any wind at 600

I suggest a 25-06 for your long range varmints , Does good in the wind with low recoil not to mention that it hits with authority !

243 would be a great choice or 6.5creedmore or 6.5x47 Lapua or 6XC, 260 remington, 6x284, 6.5x284, 6mm remington, 240weatherby, 6.5wsm, 6XTRA super special, 6.16x338 haha ok maybe not the last couple, but there are lots of options the .243 cal. can do almost anything but one of the 6.5s might fit the bill nicely also. do you want availability of factory ammo or do you reload? a hotrod or a barrel saver?

.243 or 25/06 will fit the bill nicely, your choice, plenty of rifles chambered for both, lots of brass and bullets, reasonably cheap to shoot, mild recoil , both are more than accurate enough...actually fun to shoot !!

I would like to reload in the future. I'm just in between on housing for the next 4 months and am back home at my mom's and don't have any garage workspace.

It seems like there are so many variations of the .243 I'll be doing my homework for another month before I even decide on a cartridge, then it will be another month of rifle selection.... Maybe I should just enjoy the 250 and 270 I have

Your 270 will do everything you need out to 600 yards, it might be a little rough on squirrels though.

Yea that would explode squirrels right along side my bank account!

Would a .22-250 be enough for coyote out to 300 yds?

coyotes at 300yd with the 22-250 should be no problem, beyond 450 look for the heavies bullet weight/best BC your twist will stabilize 45gr. bullets don't hold up very well in the wind and energy at those ranges even the 55s and 60s get challenging to make good hits with as you stretch out the yardage. on the plus side if you making good wind calls with the 250 the 270 will seem easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.