New Rifle Looking for the right ammo

KRob

I just bought a new Winchester 94 lever action in 30-30. It will be used for alittle of everything. I am unfortunetly not a hand loader though do not have the mony or time to start. SO i am looking for opinions on a couple good rounds for it and some ideas of what to expect from them.
Thanks guys

Although you might consider trying several brands and bullet weights in your rifle you will probably find that today's factory ammo shoots well regardless of brand. I have a similar rifle that I take out occassionally and it works well with anything I run through it. Bullet choice is usually 150 or 170 semi-flat points and they make the little rifle kick pretty good. My rifle shoots Federal and Winchester ammo about equally, I usually just buy the cheapest I can find and do not worry about splitting hairs. Not sure if you are using factory open sights, that what I do so my accuracy range is about 150-200 yards or so. If your eyes are good you could shoot accurately farther than that. I shoot at big rocks out to four or five hundred yards with the little rifle, lots of holdover and guesswork but I get hits. I watch the gunshows for ammo, more interested in $ than who made it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.