Looking for the right caliber

In all honesty, I think an honest assessment of what critter you intend to shoot the most and at what distance you will reasonably be shooting at. There is no best of all worlds. The 22-250 & 223 you have are both capable of 600, pretty easily I might add. As stated previously, wind will do you no favors with what I presume is a slow twist 22-250. Your 223 may offer a faster twist to stabilize a more wind forgiving bullet... the loss of velocity isn't that big of a deal as it is a relatively constant variable.

Personally, I'd advise you to take what you've got and giv'em a good workout. Run them all if you can and if you feel one of them will fit the bill, you just saved yourself some money!

You'll find that extended shooting sessions will most likely favor the 22cals, on both your shoulder and your wallet.

I am not trying to discredit the venerable .270 however, I have a certain disdain for the old winny. Always have, most likely always will.

So, shoot what you got first. If that doesn't do the trick, i'll recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor. She's an incredibly accurate cartridge and for a gent that doesn't reload, factory match ammo is surprisingly affordable.

t

Hey I'm brand new to the forum, as well as a little green to ballistics etc. (I'm 24 by the way).

I'm looking at getting a rifle that can whack coyotes down to squirrels for pest control with range up-to 600 yds

I have a few rifles already so I was hoping someone could steer me in a good direction.

I have

10/22
17/22
.22-250
.270 win

Mate you own a 270, it'd do that shooting with its eyes closed.

I shoot a fast twist 1-8 223 rem to a 1000 yards that being said there are better caliber's for that range. 223 is however pretty good out 600 yards and flat deadly at 400yards invest in a good rangefinder and a ballistic program for your phone you already have a couple guns that are capable of the task. I shoot 75gr bthp match bullets at those longer ranges. Out to about 400 yards I don't mind the 55gr bullets as long as the wind isn't horrible. My 6.5 creedmoor will make 600 look easy and better barrel life than a 243 win.

I wouldn't spend .10 to buy a new rifle.You have it,the .270 win is even better than it was 10 years ago.Bullets these days are phenomenal and put most chamberings into another sphere.If you wanted you can send the 85 grain ttsx at 3800 fps and the 150 grain Nosler at 3050.prairie dogs to elk and moose.Recoil with the 85 and 90 grain bullets is a wisp
Buy some reloading gear and components and you have it made in the shade,friend.Cheers.Old Jack O'spirit me says.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.