Looking for some advice?

Well based on the amount your shooting is even worth it or are you actually going to ramp up your trigger time? Just asking because it may not even be worth the hassle. The 260 is a fun cartridge to shoot and if it's just sitting in the safe, well.... you really need to access your intentions. Just saying not criticizing your actions.

Well based on the amount your shooting is even worth it or are you actually going to ramp up your trigger time? Just asking because it may not even be worth the hassle. The 260 is a fun cartridge to shoot and if it's just sitting in the safe, well.... you really need to access your intentions. Just saying not criticizing your actions.
I do hunt a lot more than I shoot, thats for sure. Although I did just join a private range that goes out to 1200 yards, so that might change. Two teenagers with school and travel ball on the weekends plus I travel a lot for work right now...makes it tough to get some range time in - its just the phase of life I am in. I do love the 260, interestingly enough I find myself grabbing my 6mm creedmoor more often when I head out. Both are crazy accurate rifles.

That is a good phase of life! Being fully retarded is good for hobbies but age creeps up and doctor visits become all too often: teeth, heart, eyes, prostate, you name it, but on the whole being on the green side of the grass gives lots of time to shoot and even getting back into HAM radio.

I am on my 3rd 260, currently have 2, for taregt shooting past 1k they are great, if your thinking hunting at longer ranges the 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC will serve you well, I just picked up a christainson arms ELR in 300 PRC and its shooting 1/2 inch groups with Retumbo and the 225 gr ELDM, have shot it past a mile. Was not pleased with the factory bedding job so had that redone, and changed the ejector springs on the bolt. Long range shooting or hunting the 300 prc is hard to beat, espespecially if you dont reload you can pick up a box of 20 for under 40$ Im sure the 6.5 prc will have a little less recoil though with the factory brake its nothing to complain about really.

I was intrigued enough to order a 6.5 PRC. I just picked it up and bought some factory ammo for the break in. Planning on Berger 156's for deer sized game.
Was in a class last week as d the guy next to me was shooting a 6.5 PRC. I was shooting a 6 5 Creed. The PRC was about 250 fps faster (He was shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 147's vs my 140's).
He often didn't need to make any adjustments for wind when I was holding .3-.5 mills at 500-700 yards. Elevation was similar.
For a hunting rifle, I wouldn't be too concerned about barrel life. +/- 2000 rounds will last for years.

Well looks like you have other rigs that are crazy accurate and I'd personally practice with those at 1,200 yds and if you see yourself suddenly enjoying it and shooting more you may find the answer you seek. Good luck and have fun and whatever decision you make is all right by I'd all of us as we are all rifle loonies! LOL

I'm not being smart but if you don't shoot the ones you have now with kids and work
Do you think a different rifle will really change that? I would keep what I have
and sock some money back until things change. Then GO for it!

I'm not being smart but if you don't shoot the ones you have now with kids and work
Do you think a different rifle will really change that? I would keep what I have
and sock some money back until things change. Then GO for it!
Its not that I don't shoot or use my rifles, I just don't shoot and use these rifles. I think I would take a 6.5 prc to north dakota for a white tail hunt, wyoming for my antelope hunt and possibly use it elk hunting in idaho this year. Whereas the 25-06 will still be in the safe. If I keep these rifles and don't buy a PRC, my 270 wsm will likely get the bulk of that work this year - maybe my 300 rum for the elk hunt. Right now the 260 just takes range trips - I bought it thinking I would get into PRS, but that isn't something that appeals to me any longer and it has less than 80 rounds down the pipe.

Predator slayer, before you pull the trigger on a "Frankenstein" gun you might look at Fierce Firearms and specifically the CT Carbon Edge. Guaranteed 1/2 MOA (with factory ammo) and weighing in at about 5 Lbs. I have three, all tack drivers...in most cases cheaper than a full up custom build.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.