Looking for some advice?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by PredatorSlayer, Aug 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have a 25-06 that's whacked a bunch of deer and some Coyotes..It's cool!
    I have a 6.5 X 284 and I like it! Strange but it shoots HSM ammo lots better than I do.
    I think they use a 142 SMK? but it works. And ammo isn't hard to find
    At this point I wouldn't trade it for a PRC I think it needs a little more exposure/time?
    I'm fixin to build a 6.5 X 47L just to fool with

YZ-80 and PredatorSlayer like this.
  2. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

I do not have a 6.5-284, so I can’t be sure. That said, yes I think there is more support. I googled and found thousands of Lapua cases for sale immediately. If you you only shoot factory stuff it’s worth considering the PRC, I’m not sure how -284 factory ammo is. I have had factory prc eld match that shot quite well (.6-.8 repeatable) it’s just hard to find and good luck finding it in town in a pinch. My rifle hated precision hunter, but that’s how it goes.

PredatorSlayer likes this.
  3. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I did a 6.5X47 this year and is it a shooter. I have 364 rounds down the tube and I don't think I have a single 3 shot group over 1/2 inch. At 300 yards just about 1 1/4 inches.

YZ-80 and KyCarl like this.
  4. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

The 6.5x284 really needs a long or med. length action to get the full benefit with the heavy's. I would just keep what you got.

Hand Skills, YZ-80 and PredatorSlayer like this.
  5. Will Gray

Will Gray Well-Known Member

I never sell guns or cameras, give them to friends and relatives... Rechamber, rebarrel or put them on display... A gun room, even if it is a closet. Memories hanging on the wall.

Johnslam, Barrelnut, ccmain and 2 others like this.
  6. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

Have 6.5 Cm, 6.5-284, and 6.5 PRC.

You could AI the 260 and be close to the 6.5-284. No bolt head mods. You could 6.5 the 25-06 and AI the case as well. 6.5-06AI and 260AI.

The PRC is still in development for me and I'm not that impressed with velocity yet. The intention was to have it perform the same in a short barrel 22" as my 6.5-284 in a 28" and run it with a suppressor. I am biased tho, I love my 6.5-284's.

IF Hornady cranks up production on the PRC ammo it's hard to beat for price vs performance. Around here it is 35.00 a box vs 6.5-284 at 55.00 plus.

7. TBell

TBell Well-Known Member

If they shoot great why sell them? Just buy another one. I had not shot my 25-06 in over 25- 26 years. Got it out two weeks ago, stuck a Diamond back on it, and off to The range we went. Still a shooter, might stick a new stock on it later.

When is the last time your wife sold a pair of shoes so she could get a new pair?

brettman and PredatorSlayer like this.
  8. bmorris57

bmorris57 Member

I currently own and shoot a 6.5 CM and a 7mm SAUM. If I were going to build a new 6.5 I would strongly consider the 6.5 GAP 4s. I am very impressed with the performance of the SAUM. I would also build it with the new Berger 156gr Elite Hunter.

Not to add another option to your list...

9. bigpapa

bigpapa Member

just a little over heard info, I don't have a 6.5-284 a friend of mine had one made, after picking up the rifle the gun maker explained to him if he was going to shoot it to its top end that he will be changing out a barrel in the not to long future. I also love my 25-06..

10. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Before jumping on the 6.5PRC I would wait and see what the 6.5RPM from Wbhy is going to do.

11. gilkison

gilkison Active Member

First, don’t sell guns - you will regret it.
    Second, don’t sell guns that shoot well - you will really regret it.

Why do you feel that a 260, or 25-06, don’t fill your needs? The 260 is a very capable cartridge. The 6.5PRC is just a gimmick that doesn’t fill any niche that isnt being filled now (6.5SAUM), it’s simply the new shiny toy on the shelf.

When sleeting a rifle cartridge, start with the bullet. Choose a bullet tailored to your specific needs, terminal ballistics in this case. Now, decide if that bullet’s effective range based on supersonic flight (above Mach 1.2-1.4) and min expansion or hydrostatic shock velocity. If a 260 can deliver that bullet at the required velocity in your area of operation (atmospheric conditions) then keep it. If not, consider something else.

7mm or 30cal are much more effective hunting calibers than 6.5mm, if that is your purpose.
    Check out terminal ballistics of every cartridge/bullet combo you can think of at https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

L.Sherm and PredatorSlayer like this.
  12. YZ-80

YZ-80 Well-Known Member

I like my 6.5-284 and I’d say it’s “well-supported”. I’ve only got 130 rounds through it and I’m still on my first 20 pieces of Nosler brass, which I think is pretty decent stuff. I can also find H4831sc or H1000 pretty easily so that’s good.

Someone else made the comment that the “barrel-burning” stigma the cartridge has is over-hyped, and I hope I find this to be the case with my rifle. At the rate I’m going, hopefully it will take years and many fallen whitetails to find out.

When I decided to get the 6.5-284, I did some research using the Dewey decimal system at the local library and found some articles. I found out that it is best suited to a long action and also something to the effect that there can be some variation with Leade/throat dimensions. I guess there might not be a set standard for this for the 6.5-284 and it has something to do with its parentage.

13. gilkison

gilkison Active Member

Also, the 6.5PRC will have a reduced barrel life over a 260.

14. PredatorSlayer

PredatorSlayer Well-Known Member

I buy and sell/trade guns fairly regularly. Unless it was a gift or has some sentimental value, it is fair game.

For some reason it is hard for me to have a gun sit in the safe and not be shot, especially if it is accurate - its like a great bird dog that you don’t hunt or a wife you don’t sleep with...whats the point? I have just noticed the 25-06 has been sitting there doing nothing for a few years. I have also been going through a phase where I have been consolidating guns...selling those that don’t get shot enough and buying some I have been wanting to try.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    YZ-80 and ccmain like this.