Looking for some advice?

I have a 25-06 that's whacked a bunch of deer and some Coyotes..It's cool!
I have a 6.5 X 284 and I like it! Strange but it shoots HSM ammo lots better than I do.
I think they use a 142 SMK? but it works. And ammo isn't hard to find
At this point I wouldn't trade it for a PRC I think it needs a little more exposure/time?
I'm fixin to build a 6.5 X 47L just to fool with

You think there is more support for the 6.5x284 norma? I have wanted one of those forever, its what I wished both my 25-06 and 260 was. Since the PRC came in the hornady ammo, I thought it might be a better deal.

I do not have a 6.5-284, so I can't be sure. That said, yes I think there is more support. I googled and found thousands of Lapua cases for sale immediately. If you you only shoot factory stuff it's worth considering the PRC, I'm not sure how -284 factory ammo is. I have had factory prc eld match that shot quite well (.6-.8 repeatable) it's just hard to find and good luck finding it in town in a pinch. My rifle hated precision hunter, but that's how it goes.

I have a 25-06 that's whacked a bunch of deer and some Coyotes..It's cool!
I have a 6.5 X 284 and I like it! Strange but it shoots HSM ammo lots better than I do.
I think they use a 142 SMK? but it works. And ammo isn't hard to find
At this point I wouldn't trade it for a PRC I think it needs a little more exposure/time?
I'm fixin to build a 6.5 X 47L just to fool with

I did a 6.5X47 this year and is it a shooter. I have 364 rounds down the tube and I don't think I have a single 3 shot group over 1/2 inch. At 300 yards just about 1 1/4 inches.

Have 6.5 Cm, 6.5-284, and 6.5 PRC.

You could AI the 260 and be close to the 6.5-284. No bolt head mods. You could 6.5 the 25-06 and AI the case as well. 6.5-06AI and 260AI.

The PRC is still in development for me and I'm not that impressed with velocity yet. The intention was to have it perform the same in a short barrel 22" as my 6.5-284 in a 28" and run it with a suppressor. I am biased tho, I love my 6.5-284's.

IF Hornady cranks up production on the PRC ammo it's hard to beat for price vs performance. Around here it is 35.00 a box vs 6.5-284 at 55.00 plus.

Hey y'all,

I have a Milspec 5r Gen 2 in 260 with a triggertech that bought new last year that has maybe 80 rounds through it, and a Sendero SFII in 25-06 that has maybe 150 rounds through it and isn't even wearing a scope right now...its been sitting in the back of the safe for the last few years. I am thinking about selling both and buying a 6.5 prc in a seekins havak or christensen ridgeline, or browning LR mcmillan, or maybe a 6.5x284norma. The 260 and 25-06 are both tack drivers. I am thinking I would shoot the PRC more and its kind of middle ground between the two of them. What would you guys do?

These are the only 6.5 and .257 calibers I own. I do have several smaller and larger than both of these, so I would like to fill the same GAP. Also, the gun will be used more for hunting than anything else.

If they shoot great why sell them? Just buy another one. I had not shot my 25-06 in over 25- 26 years. Got it out two weeks ago, stuck a Diamond back on it, and off to The range we went. Still a shooter, might stick a new stock on it later.

When is the last time your wife sold a pair of shoes so she could get a new pair?

I currently own and shoot a 6.5 CM and a 7mm SAUM. If I were going to build a new 6.5 I would strongly consider the 6.5 GAP 4s. I am very impressed with the performance of the SAUM. I would also build it with the new Berger 156gr Elite Hunter.

Not to add another option to your list...

just a little over heard info, I don't have a 6.5-284 a friend of mine had one made, after picking up the rifle the gun maker explained to him if he was going to shoot it to its top end that he will be changing out a barrel in the not to long future. I also love my 25-06..

First, don't sell guns - you will regret it.
Second, don't sell guns that shoot well - you will really regret it.

Why do you feel that a 260, or 25-06, don't fill your needs? The 260 is a very capable cartridge. The 6.5PRC is just a gimmick that doesn't fill any niche that isnt being filled now (6.5SAUM), it's simply the new shiny toy on the shelf.

When sleeting a rifle cartridge, start with the bullet. Choose a bullet tailored to your specific needs, terminal ballistics in this case. Now, decide if that bullet's effective range based on supersonic flight (above Mach 1.2-1.4) and min expansion or hydrostatic shock velocity. If a 260 can deliver that bullet at the required velocity in your area of operation (atmospheric conditions) then keep it. If not, consider something else.

7mm or 30cal are much more effective hunting calibers than 6.5mm, if that is your purpose.
Check out terminal ballistics of every cartridge/bullet combo you can think of at https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

I like my 6.5-284 and I'd say it's "well-supported". I've only got 130 rounds through it and I'm still on my first 20 pieces of Nosler brass, which I think is pretty decent stuff. I can also find H4831sc or H1000 pretty easily so that's good.

Someone else made the comment that the "barrel-burning" stigma the cartridge has is over-hyped, and I hope I find this to be the case with my rifle. At the rate I'm going, hopefully it will take years and many fallen whitetails to find out.

When I decided to get the 6.5-284, I did some research using the Dewey decimal system at the local library and found some articles. I found out that it is best suited to a long action and also something to the effect that there can be some variation with Leade/throat dimensions. I guess there might not be a set standard for this for the 6.5-284 and it has something to do with its parentage.

If they shoot great why sell them? Just buy another one. I had not shot my 25-06 in over 25- 26 years. Got it out two weeks ago, stuck a Diamond back on it, and off to The range we went. Still a shooter, might stick a new stock on it later.

When is the last time your wife sold a pair of shoes so she could get a new pair?

I buy and sell/trade guns fairly regularly. Unless it was a gift or has some sentimental value, it is fair game.

For some reason it is hard for me to have a gun sit in the safe and not be shot, especially if it is accurate - its like a great bird dog that you don't hunt or a wife you don't sleep with...whats the point? I have just noticed the 25-06 has been sitting there doing nothing for a few years. I have also been going through a phase where I have been consolidating guns...selling those that don't get shot enough and buying some I have been wanting to try.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts