Looking for realistic 7mm Rem mag numbers

I think a custom rifle is the way to go. No matter how hard I look I just can't find that perfect off the shelf gun. I found a few Remington 700 actions on line for sale. Primarily .300 RUM according to the ad and I have yet to research if it could be used for anything else. The Kreiger barrels are reasonable priced. You can drop it in any of the fiberglass stocks you can find online, and we all know there are plenty in the 700 variety. Obviously there's more to it than that...trigger, headspace gauges, so on and so forth....but in all honesty how hard can it be ..anyone here dabble in rifle building? I've built plenty of AR15s but never a bolt gun.

(devil on the shoulder) build one yourself,

with this new addiction ,you the will gain the highest level of everlasting ....... poverty

once you have reached rock bottom , the numbers that you need will be to rehabilitation counselors , and SAA meetings :D

I think a custom/semi-custom is definitely the way to go and would fully encourage you to take on the task of doing the work yourself. However, I think the guys that are masters of the rifle building craft, guys like Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles, would probably take some offense to statements like, "How hard can it be?" or any of us thinking that we can put together a rifle that would match the quality of their work. I know I don't have the skills or tools to put together a barreled action and keep everything lined up within .0002" concentricity. Sure, most of us here can buy a Savage rifle, unscrew the factory barrel, screw on a quality aftermarket barrel with a go gauge in the chamber and probably get a rifle more accurate than our abilities if the barreled action is properly bedded in a solid stock. But for me, that still isn't the same as getting custom built rig made from the best components available put together by a good gunsmith. But that's just me...as I said, I don't have the tools to properly true a factory action and install a barrel keeping everything within .0002" the way a rifle from MCRifles would be done, but your tools and skills could be very different than mine.

If you want to do it yourself, your best bet is probably finding a decent deal on a factory gun that has most of the components (action, stock) you want, rather than buying everything individually. For example, I think it would be more budget friendly to buy a Savage 110 FCP or Rem 700 Long range, pull the barrel, put a Savage or Remage barrel on using the barrel nut system, and bed the action with your favorite compound. You'd probably save some dollars doing it that way than buying an action, a stock, bottom metal, etc. individually, unless you are finding great deals on all those things, or if that's the only way to get exactly what you want.

You could also buy something like a 700 LR and take it to your favorite rifle smith to have the action blue printed, new barrel installed to the specs of your choice, and have him do the bedding work.

If you decide to do it yourself, remember to factor in the cost for the tools you will need if you don't already have them. It will be worth the investment if you are either going to go through barrels quickly or will be putting together multiple rigs.

Just my .02. Keep us posted on what you decide, looking forward to seeing the end result.

Imartin...I hear ya. The whole "how hard could it be" actually had a winking face next to it that didn't post for some reason. The Smith's that have been doing this forever definitely have a leg up in the game and i whole heartedly mean no disrespect.
But I'm in the mood for a new project. The baby is finally old enough that I should be able to dedicate some time to building a custom shooter. As you suggested, I've also been kicking around the idea of grabbing a used Sendero or weatherby mark v, because I love the look of the fluted stainless barrel. My local shop said they'd thread the barrel for $120 for a good break. There's something about a McMillan A3 sporter that excites me. Never put hands on one but its just a nice looking stock. Hell, the weatherby stock is pretty **** nice itself.
I recently saw that Savage has a model 16 Bear Hunter rifle chambered in the magnums that comes stock with a fluted stainless threaded barrel with a break. Anyone have one and want to comment on the quality?

Also, they have sales on the Remington 700 Long range. I just saw one for sale, $599. The B&C stock alone is $275 to buy, then the action would be around $325-350. So the stock and action alone would cost about the same or more than buying the whole rifle. And we have had good luck with the factory 700 long range rifles, but you could rebarrel it as well. All said and done, with the 700 long range, a custom barrel, and the smith work, you would have $1050-1550 into a semi custom rifle, depending on if you had it blueprinted, tac bolt knob, muzzle brake, ect. Not too bad imo.

I was playing with the 700 LR at cabelas. It's a heavy mofo. 9# according to the cabelas website. But you probably welcome the weight if you're launching magnum rounds....

Can't go wrong with a Weatherby Mark V Accumark. The load I mentioned in my first post (RL22, Berger 140 VLD) was developed in an Accumark by my late friend. He once showed me a picture of a 10 shot group, all in one neat little cluster, had to be .5 moa or better. Only thing he had done to that Accumark was bed it with Devcon. He also had a tactical build on a Mark V action with a McMillan stock. If I can find those pictures I will share with you, sweet rifles. Not many guys build in Mark V actions, but they are awesome.

Hornady 162 ELD-X
68.5 H1000
Fed 215 mag
Hornady brass
COAL 3.290
Will do this every time if I do
my part. Probably better than this with a better nut behind the trigger. 26" Remington sendero.
IMG_20180727_182645585.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts