Looking for realistic 7mm Rem mag numbers

26", 9T Barrel

168 gr Berger classic Hunter
Hornady Brass
70.5 gr H1000
CCI-250 primer
2.756 CBTO (SAMMI chamber, touching lands)
3080 fps
1/2 moa

So I went to pick up rifle and it was beat up pretty bad. Cabelas Gun Library made it out to be brand new. Decided to pass. So now the search begins for a new rifle. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe a Christensen Arms classic....but at $3000.00 it's almost worth building a custom rifle...

Don't know what brands you like, but could get a cheaper/used Savage or Remington and installing a custom prefit barrel might be a good idea. IMO the barrel makes a rifle anyways... This way you could get a premium 7RM barrel in an 8 twist and be able to run the heavy Berger bullets. That's were the trend is with the 7RM right now anyways.

I have a 700P in 7RemMag and in 2009 I was loading the 150gn Ballistic Tip with 63.5gn of IMR4350 and Rem 9.5M primers. I was getting 3234fps average and it averaged .430" for several 5-shot groups. This is .5gn over the book max (Nosler#8) so proceed with caution. No pressure signs in this rifle but kicks like a po'd mule.
I recently tried RL-26, BR2's and 169.5gn Wildcats. With 69.5gn this combo punches .5" groups @ 3062fps (avg).
I am suprised it grouped the WC's this good. I tried the 168gn Bergers years ago (several boxes) and could never get it below 1". I tried alot of powders/primers and seating depths. When I ran out of the Bergers I quit trying and went with the 150's.
Love the .270WSM! I tell people who ask me about it, "it'll do anything the 7Mag will do". Good luck. johnnyk.
20180222_130359.jpg
Factory Sendero, 200yards 150 NBT, 3252 fps IMR7828

The sendero is definitely a nice looking rifle. I've heard numerous times that they're the least recoiling rifle on the market in the magnum calibers. Not that I'm recoil sensitive but it's always nice to shoot a rifle that's pleasant to shoot lol.

So now the search begins for a new rifle. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe a Christensen Arms classic....but at $3000.00 it's almost worth building a custom rifle...

If you're looking at Christensen, but don't want to spend $3K, I recommend taking a look at their Ridgeline. My 7RM Ridgeline is proving to be very accurate, and I'm getting impressive velocities, low SD's and ES's using RL26. Still working on a 162 eldm load, but the 175eldx and 180vld-hunting are shooting 1/2moa at max loads (3020 and 2990 respectively). It's pretty tough to beat that for the sub $2k price.

The Ridgeline was my first choice. Real sharp looking rifle. Then research led me to the Classic. Funny how that works. You set a budget and it climbs higher and higher as you do more research. I have a couple short action browning xbolts and 2 Remington 700 ADLs. One in .308, the other in .22-250. Nothing in a long action. That's what led me to the 7mm RM. And then the mental debate of the 7mm vs 270wsm.... and so the forum begins...

www.longrangehunting.com/threads/not-bad-for-a-stock-savage.169690/#*** I love the 270wsm, both barrels I've had shoots 150vld over 3250. Both were very easy to tune.

I'm on my third 7RM barrel (two different actions). They are a little more finicky to load IMO. Barrel life has been better for the 7RM.

Tbrice23...truth be told I haven't had the best of experiences with the savage line. I've had a couple 11/111 (I think that's the model number) and I want impressed with them at all. Had one in a .243 and a .300 win mag. Sold em both to buy my .308 ADL. I'm not usually the type to abandon something on a few bad experiences but I wouldn't be able to purchase another one without trying it out first. Although I did see in the NRA American Hunter publication that they have a new customizable rifle. Looked decent.

I believe the 11/111 series is just a step above the axis line, cheap stocks and flimsy magazines.
You should check out a model 10/110 or 16/116 to get a true feel for Savage's capability. Accustocks, metal mags (or floorplate), that puts them above the axis or 11/111.

Hi guys,

New here, but saw the thread and couldn't help but chime in. In factory rifles with 1:9.5T barrels (Browning, Howa, Savage, Weatherby) I have always had really good luck with Berger 140 VLD's, RL22, and Fed 215 or CCI 250. Accuracy has been outstanding. Velocity is ~3200 fps in a 26" barrel, which is mild compared to what some guys are getting from their 7RM's. If the OP or anyone else is interested, feel free to PM me for charge weight and COAL info. It just seems to be one of those loads that shoots well in every gun and for hunting I haven't ever needed any more, so I have always used it as a starting point and never changed. Can also be used with a 140 Nosler AB.

I'm the process of putting together my first rifle with long range in mind. Got a good deal on a brand new Savage 110 FCP in 300 Win Mag. Will be pulling the 24" 300 tube and replacing with a 7mm Rem Mag Criterion, 1:8T, SS Match, 26" Varmint contour (.830 @ the muzzle) from NSS. Nothing against the 300 WM, just prefer the 7RM. Based on what I've already read, will probably start load work up with H1000. Haven't decided on a bullet to start with yet but thinking Berger 180 gr VLD. Also looking at SMK's, ELD-X, and ABLR, all 175 gr or heavier, but figured Berger is a good place to start. Went with the 1:8T so I could mess around with the heavier offerings if I wanted to.

Planning on topping it with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 but haven't finalized that yet. Did purchase DNZ 1-pc Tactical Mount with 20 MOA built in, so should I go with the Sightron, I will have more vertical adjustment than I will ever need. I have always liked the idea of one piece base/ring combo. Seem's like there is less that can go wrong there and based on my other experiences with DNZ products, they are top notch. Doesn't seem like much info out there on them, so I guess we will see.

The 1:8T and 20 MOA base is probably over kill considering that in reality, I will likely never get to fully take advantage of either, but I figured if I ever get the chance, it would stink to be limited in any way. I'm always open to suggestions/advice if you guys have anything to add. I look forward to sharing and learning here.

Thanks,
Isaac

I have a 22 in barrel on mine...yea I know somewhat defeats the purpose but carries well in the hills--started with 168 bergers in the day but found that 180 hybrids tuned better and killed satisfactory for me...like a lot I used H1000 68.5 grains and 180 hybrid--gets right at 2870fps in my gun and is very accurate.

We live at 6600 ft elevation, and in a remington 700 Long range (factory 9.25 twist) we run the Berger 180 VLD's at 3015 fps over Reloder 26 in Hornady brass. If I was low elevation, I would use the 168. I loaded the 168 up in a 26" browning a bolt with 4831sc and was getting 3030, and with Reloder 26 in a 24" barreled ruger they were going 3080.

All factory rifles, all handloads. I dont shoot factory loads in anything but my 22 rimfire and shotguns.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.