looking for opinions for a new pack

bowkill02

hey guys im looking for personal experience and advise for a new pack. im really liking the j34 just one from eberlestock, as well as the horn hunter full curl system. I currently have a eberlestock gunslinger just wanting something I cant take out with more space for extended hunts in the 5-7 day range as well as better system of hauling meat. I really don't have the ability to try on these packs first hand because I cannot seem to find a dealer within a reasonable drive from my house. maybe there is another pack you could recommend that I haven't considered that doesn't cost a mortgage payment. thanks guys for any advise you can give

I've got personal experience with Mystery Ranch (Metcalf). I love the pack, two of my buddies bought same pack and we all love it. The pack is "military" proof, heavy duty construction. Twice now I have packed meat out using this pack. Meat+gear was way over 70#, probably close to a hundred. I have done many overnights and a couple multi day trips. What I like is that it is also a great day pack, pull the sleeping kit out and go.

The Kuiu stuff is very interesting, a buddy of mine might be hunting with the Icon Pro 5200 this coming season.

Honestly I see my MR pack lasting a long time, one of my old Dana packs is still in use to this day. It's been handed down for the third time now.

If I was you, I would order a pack early and try it out with some weight before hunt. If you don't like, return (checking policy first of course). Packs are a very personal preference like shoes. What works for one guy may not for another.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 158
Ditto on Mystery Ranch. I run three of them (30ltr, 55ltr, and 80ltr) and everyone I work with either has MR or wishes they had one. I've deployed with all three at one time or another.

Another light weight pack I've had the pleasure to spend a winter with was the Wild Things Andinista pack. Not as hardy as the MR's, but light and wore well on the back.

Cost-wise, if you can find a surplus Marine ILBE pack, they are great for hunting use. They were designed by Arcteryx and are sturdy as hell. If you take off some of the webbing, MOLLE and replace the huge zipper pulls with lighter fare, you can safe a LOT of weight. The chief complaint the Marines had with it was how poorly it interfaced with body armor, it wears great for those of us not wearing SAPI plates.

If I was you, I would order a pack early and try it out with some weight before hunt. If you don't like, return (checking policy first of course). Packs are a very personal preference like shoes. What works for one guy may not for another.

I've got a Kifaru and love it. Fits great, carries a lot of weight very well and is bomb proof. But this advice from Middleofnowhere is spot on.

thanks guys keep it coming. I was able to find a spot that is an eberlestock dealer yesterday and go try out the just one pack. I was really leaning twards this pack because of its ability to really grow. im glad I did because the pack just didn't feel right once I put it on. I spent some time adjusting everything I could but wasn't able to put any weight in it. something just didn't feel right about the pack. am I jumping to conclusions here? im very indecisive right now.

I served in the Marine Corps in the infantry trade, and have quite a few miles under an alice pack with heavy loads. I was in my teens and early twenties then, so a hundred pound crew served weapon load was no big deal LOL. I wish we had the pack technology then, that our troops have today. Mystery Ranch has been at the forefront in development of military gear that makes sense for our troops.

The founder of Mystery Ranch, Dana Gleason, has been around forever. I have owned two Dana Designs packs as well as several other makes when I used to climb mountains. Back in the day, his packs were revolutionary. What MR has done today for our military and hunting community is also revolutionary.
Check out some videos, the philosophy applies to the MR brand as well as what some others are attempting to do.

[ame="https://vimeo.com/168814543"]The Big Cheese Speaks - Load Carriage on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="https://vimeo.com/130787256"]THE PACK OUT - WITH MONTANA WILD on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="https://vimeo.com/76004811"]Mystery Ranch | Overload on Vimeo[/ame]

Something just didn't feel right about the pack. Am I jumping to conclusions here?

I don't think so. Packs are a very personal item, much like boots. One person's favorite is another person's pain-fest. I was issued an Eberlestock Terminator and tried to get it dialed in for a couple of years. I just could not get it comfortable for me. I traded it to someone else for some gear and he loves that Eberlestock dearly and has used it for quite a few years now.

I wish we had the pack technology then, that our troops have today. Mystery Ranch has been at the forefront in development of military gear that makes sense for our troops.

It's funny that what's old is new again. The pack system that replaced the ILBE has a plastic external frame that breaks easily. Most of the 03's that I know have already swapped the frame out to old ALICE frames with updated straps.

It's funny that what's old is new again. The pack system that replaced the ILBE has a plastic external frame that breaks easily. Most of the 03's that I know have already swapped the frame out to old ALICE frames with updated straps.

In the 80's I used my issued alice pack recreationally LOL. Got some looks passing parties in the Sierra. I remember getting issued the first sets of "contoured" shoulder straps, they were a revolutionary comfort improvement when they replaced the straight pack straps that cut into your chest.

Speaking of frames, nothing really carries a load like a rigid frame. Only proble is that you need a separate day or hunting pack when using a frame imho.

Semper fi

Speaking of frames, nothing really carries a load like a rigid frame. Only problem is that you need a separate day or hunting pack when using a frame imho.

Agreed. A good external frame is priceless. Europe still puts out some great external kit. Norrona has been making bomb-proof external frames for a long time. They are one of the best kept secrets in winter warfare.
For discrete use, I like to use a Fjallraven Stubben. It doesn't look like much (which is the point), but it has a welded aluminum frame/stool that can support 300#. Totally overkill for a 27L ruck, but since when is overkill a bad thing?

The Mystery Ranch NICE frame system is pretty similar to a true external frame, and just about as versatile.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.