Looking for new 308 win

The gentleman that posted the picture of his 8.5# rifle in .308 failed to mention that's a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed (looks like it). I have owned numerous rifles in .308 and currently have the X-Bolt HCS and it is a tack driver out of the box. The only modification to mine was to switch our the radial muzzle break for a side exhausting break. With factory ammo it will shoot 1/2 moa to 3/4 moa all day. Nice trigger out of the box and a very simple fix for a new deer/elk rifle.

The gentleman that posted the picture of his 8.5# rifle in .308 failed to mention that's a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed (looks like it). I have owned numerous rifles in .308 and currently have the X-Bolt HCS and it is a tack driver out of the box. The only modification to mine was to switch our the radial muzzle break for a side exhausting break. With factory ammo it will shoot 1/2 moa to 3/4 moa all day. Nice trigger out of the box and a very simple fix for a new deer/elk rifle.
I was going to say the only rifle that I own (factory) that is as accurate as my Rem 5R .308, is my Browning X-Bolt Speed 7mm-mag.

Light weight too. Right at 8.5# with scope.

Ag9Jww3.jpg

I have a Savage 110 LE heavy barrel in 308.
24" HS Precision stock and a EGW base. I've shot about 10 rounds just to see if it shot like most Savages, 1/2 inch with Gold Medal Federal. I haven't put it in classified section but would be happy to sell it.

That's another one I've looked at but can't find any instock or used
Just looked on Gunbroker out of curiosity
None chambered in 308 win but saw this 300 win mag version I can tell you with the brake the recoil is like a 243.

The heart of any rifle is the barrel. When you look at the competitors in BR matches, Bartlein clearly dominates followed by Brux followed followed by Kreiger. I would focus on the barrel followed by the action. For the action, the easiest approach is probably a Remington 700 and get it trued and then choose a high quality barrel. With the preceding approach, you stock options are many.

Last edited: