Looking for advice from those far more knowledgeable than me....

Torrent50

Greetings. I'm looking for suggestions and knowledgeable advice from those that have waaaaay more experience than myself. I know that asking for opinions on rifles can open a can of worms and I really don't want that, but I would like some suggestions.

I am looking at getting a 7 PRC as a hunting rifle. I really want something with a short barrel (20" range) that I can use with a brake or suppressor. I would like to keep it fairly lightweight since I'm old and don't want to pack a 10 pound rifle all over the place.

I have really liked my X bolts in the past and am thinking about the X bolt speed SR when it is released. But.......I would like some other options to look into. I'm a retired guy on a fixed income so would like to spend no more than $2500 on the rifle. I already have the scope.

Things to look at and things to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My first pick, if I was in your shoes would be the Seekins Element. It may be a bit above your price range, however…

I will second the above. I built my dad a 7 prc with an xlr chassis on a tikka action for under your budget so that may be an option for you as well. Or the classifieds here.

Welcome to the forum. I've been looking at the Seekins Element for a possible next rifle. I am a Browning fan as well. I'm not familiar with new X-Bolt Speed offerings, but I would definitely go with a 5/8 24 thread if I was planning to go with a suppressor.

Welcome to the forum. I've been looking at the Seekins Element for a possible next rifle. I am a Browning fan as well. I'm not familiar with new X-Bolt Speed offerings, but I would definitely go with a 5/8 24 thread if I was planning to go with a suppressor.
Yeah, the x bolt sr has that thread pattern and when the 7 prc comes out, it will be a 20" barrel and is advertised at 6 pounds 4 ounces. I know a Seekins is a better rifle, I just am not sure it's $1300 better. If it is, then I am willing to sirens the money.

It's a tough life having these kind of problems.......lol.

20 inch barrel.(2877 ft./s Good velocity. Little bit more than your quoted price, but they probably can build something maybe less expensive. They are tack drivers though

Attachments

• 00C1EF2D-08AC-4FB6-91C5-F70D9C0CFA01.jpeg
    00C1EF2D-08AC-4FB6-91C5-F70D9C0CFA01.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • 6887A969-BF8D-4D4C-BAE3-4A5A7623C119.jpeg
    6887A969-BF8D-4D4C-BAE3-4A5A7623C119.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 43
  • F572C63B-EB43-4BB7-94B2-A5D1C528C91B.jpeg
    F572C63B-EB43-4BB7-94B2-A5D1C528C91B.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 33930AEF-D0AD-4AD9-A57A-8E02C839AD6D.jpeg
    33930AEF-D0AD-4AD9-A57A-8E02C839AD6D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
I would take a look at Tikka T3x range. They are generally very consistently accurate, there's a huge variety of different versions to select from and if (or when) you decide you need a new stock or something, there's a wide variety of aftermarket stuff available. You won't find one chambered for 7PRC but barrels are easy come, easy go anyways.

Which scope are you planning to use? Generally one should spend at least 50% of the money on the scope...

I would take a look at Tikka T3x range. They are generally very consistently accurate, there's a huge variety of different versions to select from and if (or when) you decide you need a new stock or something, there's a wide variety of aftermarket stuff available. You won't find one chambered for 7PRC but barrels are easy come, easy go anyways.

Which scope are you planning to use? Generally one should spend at least 50% of the money on the scope...
As of right now, I'm planning on using my Zeiss V4 6-24X50. I haven't looked at the Tikkas because they don't have a 7 PRC yet. Hadn't really considered getting one re-barrelled. I will have to check them out.

If you want light!!!
Get yourself an Impact Titanium action 23 oz ($1900), 7PC Proof Prefit Carbon Barrel Chambered threaded 43 ozs $1,000, a Bell and Carlson Remington 700 BDL Mountain Ti Sporter Style 32 ozs ($340) and a T&T Trigger Special 2.2 oz ($200)
Buy once Cry Once
Total Weight W/o suppressor or mag 100.2 oz or 6.26 lbs.
Total cost of an AWESOME MOUNTAIN Rifle $3,440.00

You can save some money with a SS Action and SS Barrel maybe $800 less and 64 oz heavier = 10lb total weight

I believe tikka will be producing a 7 mm PRC very soon. It just seems like the logical move for them and a lot of people that I perceive as being in the know believe that as well. The rifle I had built is using their action. I was close to pulling the trigger on the defiance action. Many say that the tikka is arguably the best mass production action out there. Good talk about this on Vortex 10 minute talk(YouTube). Also, the guy from back fire TV. (youTube.)