More confused than ever

outdooraddict

OK here is where I am .................... Yea I started out looking at 300weatherbys then went to 300rum then talked (almost) into a custom 7mm then another thread I read on here says big 338's oh I also looked at 338winmag. I am using this for elk only most likely 600-700yds with conditions and factors all being right. I have heard every thing from small fast with lots of spin to big and fast. I only have around 1K to put into the rifle as I will be putting a nightforce scope on it. All help is much appreciated. Choises 7mm wsm custom rayhill, 300rum savage factory, 338 winmag savage factory. or any others you could suggest for under $1000.

338 RUM remington XCR for 850.00 to 900.00 Pretty hard to beat but that is if the 1,000.00 was just for the gun any way thats what i did and put a vx3 6.5 x 20 varmit rec. on it and with 225 accubonds it matches to 500yds but i like the thought of the Night Force too. the scope was 879.00

For elk mainly, it would have to be either the 300RUM or the 338 WinMag. You could choose the 300RUM because its flatter, or the 338 because its a .338. If those 2 where my only choice, I'd go with the 300RUM, and then when the barrel was wore out, I'd get a 338-300Ultra barrel for it.

AJ

600-700 yds with the conditions and factors all being right the 300 win mag will do everything you need and you can get a decient used rifle like the Rem Sendero in 300 win mag that will likely shoot under the 1 moa range consistantly. Savage rifles are also a great deal and they can be had frequiently for very reasonable prices.

But if you have a full $1000 to spend on your gun , their is a new Rem 700 Senbdero SS in 300 RUM on guns america right now for $899
(Gun Number: 951992474) Classified Ad

that would make a hell of a base gun to get started in the Long range game this gun should shoot the 200gr accubond to 3100fps preaty easly with good accuracy at least 3/4 moa , this package with a decient trigger man can cleanly kill elk at 1000 yds and in a year or so its a simple rebarrel job to upgrade to 338 Edge should you feel the need for more power.

I'm glad to see sombody new not to concerned about paying more for their scope than their gun , kudos for that.

stay with a weatherby 30-378mag and be happy. i have 2 and a 338-378 got rid of all my RUM calibers, they are infearior.

Yep , the Savage is just as capible as the remington and if its already chambered for a RUM nothing else would "need" to be done , but you might be a little more limited to being able to seat the bullets out real far and still feed from the magazine as nobody as of yet makes a oversized mag box for the Savage. The thing to think about it that the Savage will always be a Savage and that will keep any resale to a minimun , but if don't plan of selling the gun later then its no big deal. Kirby Allen has built several of his big Wildcats on Savage actions , if I'm not mistaken i think at least one of his personal guns is built on a Savage.

Their are some very good stock out their as well From Stockade Gun Stocks , heck the Bell & Carlson Duramaxx stock is a great stock for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.