Looking for a new Rangefinder...Please Help

rlp10ml

Hello all.. I am looking to purchase a new Rangefinder for the upcoming hunting season. The issue that I am having is that a lot of the nicer rangefinders have the Red LED or Red OLED display. I have trouble seeing the Red Reticle because I am Red-Green Colorblind. I currently have a Nikon RiifleHunter 1000 which does have a Black LCD reticle and I like it,but I can never get the thing to range past 450 Yds. or so on Deer sized game. I guess what I am asking is if anyone knows of a Rangefinder without the Red Reticle that would consistently range to 1000 yds or so? Thank you in advance for the help.......

Last edited:
It's no longer produced, and expensive($!800+) if you find one used, but the Vectronix Terrapin has a black reticle for daytime use, red for low light. Mine produces accurate ranges to 3000+ yards.

Thanks for the replies fellas. From the research I have done,I might try the Sig Kilo1250 Rangefinder. It does feature a "High Transmittance" black LCD display and it is supposed to range Deer size game to 750 yds..... From what I gather only the Sig Kilo850 and Kilo1250 have the Black LCD Display.The other model Sig's have the Red display.

Thanks for the replies fellas. From the research I have done,I might try the Sig Kilo1250 Rangefinder. It does feature a "High Transmittance" black LCD display and it is supposed to range Deer size game to 750 yds..... From what I gather only the Sig Kilo850 and Kilo1250 have the Black LCD Display.The other model Sig's have the Red display.

I was going to suggest the Sig Kilo 1250. The one I demo'd did OK to about 700 in full sunlight and timber hillsides. Also, my Swarovski Laserguide 8x30's have an orange display and are fairly reliable out to 1000 and have given readings as afar as 1960 yards.

I'm also colorblind and I was about to recommend the Sig highly, it's hard in medium low light but I usually do my ranging in good light and make a little chart about distances to certain things (like 380 to a certain tree, 670 to the river bend on the right, 1100 to the public hunting sign in the tree line, etc) so I don't have to do ranging when the light requires the light up display. I find that the light up display is still readable when it's near dark if I try really hard. I have the 1250 and I like it. Kinda wish the optics were a bit better but I'm a bit of a snob and I have bad vision so the better glass benefits me more than someone with already good vision. It definitely isn't bad though, I've just seen better.

Well being Colorblind really is a handicap in a lot of everyday tasks for sure. As far as when I am Deer Hunting I have learned to look for the obvious differences in the Terrain,Field and Woodlines Etc. to find and see them. I also look for movement. Well,I am going to try the Sig Kilo1250. I found the Camo Model #12602 for a good price, $199.99 with free shipping and no tax. Hopefully it is just what i am looking for. If not,I won't be out a lot of money. Thanks again Guys............

Take a look at the Zeiss PRF. I've had mine for 4 years and I can still get 1400 yards on a rock face. Bold numbers and easy to see in less than ideal conditions

Take a look at the Zeiss PRF. I've had mine for 4 years and I can still get 1400 yards on a rock face. Bold numbers and easy to see in less than ideal conditions

I actually was interested in the Zeiss but the Red Reticle is what steered me away from it. I did end up getting the Sig Sauer Kilo 1250 which has a Black Display which is easy for me to see being Red-Green Colorblind. I have not used it in a hunting situation as of yet but just playing around with it I really like it so far.........Thanks for all the help Guys.

I'm also red greed color blind, pretty bad.
I run the sig kilo 2400 which does have a red display, it automatically adjusts the brightness depending on the lighting conditions, sometimes I struggle when it's bright out, but for the most part it's bright enough that I can see it, wish it was blue...the only color I see correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.