Looking at Sharps

A very good reference that covers all the BP carriage data and rifle types is, "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West ", by Mike Venturino. This book includes the cartridges mentioned by the OP, complete with loads and velocity data. Looking at a lot of the posts in this string, the inputs can put you all over the map. Is the OP interested in formal BPCR shooting, informal targets, hunting, etc. The rifles and calibers used in BPCR fall into a specialized form of shooting sport. Comparing modern designs using smokeless powders to period BPCR may be analogous to comparing a traditional longbow to a modern recurve, or compound bow......very different animals. IMHO.

out to 1,100 yards. (my longest shots) the only limitation to a 45-70 is the ability of the shooter.

I read on the internet (makes me an expert??) that the 3.25" chambering (45-120) was more sesitive to get shooting well with black powder. Most people who went down that road eventually went with one of the shorter options. I found the 2.4" (45-90win) was well recommended by the black powder crowd.

The old sharps was alway something I wanted but did not want to buck up for one so I opted for the poor mans version - HR Buffalo Classic in 45-70 and reamed it out to 45-90. I shoot 777 out of the longer cases and use smokeless in the 45-70. I have never pushed the 45-70 up to its limit with smokeless so I see no reason to put smokeless powder in the longer case - it will hurt on both ends. The 45-90 has nearly the same capacity as the 458winmag.

Sometimes I wish I went with the 2.6" case but alway quench those thoughts by thinking that a half inch is too much bullet jump if I wanted to use the 45-70 still.

I do like the brake action single shot for black powder cleanup, but realize there is a trade of on potential accuracy. But, I dont see myself shooting at long range game with this gun and peep sites any time soon. It is a great fun toy which is what I got it for in the first place - as are most of my guns.

out to 1,100 yards. (my longest shots) the only limitation to a 45-70 is the ability of the shooter.

Agreed!!! I shoot a 45-70 Sharps with a 520 gr.cast bullet over black powder. What a blast. BTW, tried a cleaning solution of 50% Vinegar Windex/Water I read about years ago. Cleans that Sharps up faster and easier that any smokeless rifle I own. Brass goes in the dishwasher, then the tumbler with walnut media.

I have a 40-90, 45-70, andd a 40-65. I shoot nothing but B.P. in them. With tang sights am able to hit a 50 gallon drum pretty steady at 1500 yds, in still weather. My eyes have gotten old here lately and I may have to invest in scopes for them all. Have taken 5-4 elk with the 40-90 and 40-65. Out to about 300 yds. I have played with these **** things for about 10 years or so and they still frustrate a lot of the time. I like pure lead p.p. bullets for game. They are a lot of fun. I laid off them last hunting season and hunted deer with modern rifle. I missed a 190 typical buck at 100 yds!!!
Biggest buck I have seen in 30 yrs!! Would have been a chip shot for the Sharps. I could have killed him with a handgun!!!! I still see him every night in my sleep.
Anyway the BPCR guns are a lot of fun! They can be inicky to load for though.

I've got THOUSANDS of rounds through Sharps rifles but in the final analysis.....you got two different dogs here! One are the young guys whom have no attachment to historical values who don't know beans about using aperture sights and whom think you've got to have a bullet running at nanoseconds to be effective and then just a few possibly that understand what I'm speaking to!! Oh...BTW...the .45 3 1/4 case is a 'bastard breed' as the Sharps company never made it during the buffalo run! Probably chambered up by an old time 'goofball' looking for those nanoseconds!:cool:

Calendars or calibers?

None of the above compares with our modern long rage calibers favorably.
Well some of us are nostalgic. I am just going to start getting into shooting my Sharps at long range. Mine is the good old .45-70. I just cast some spire point bullets for it today (see my post). My 500 gr bullets, even when they get below subsonic, are still generating over 1000 FtLb of energy! And they are still used in 1000 yard matches. Its the original long range rifle.
As for the OPs question, if you can, I'd go with the 45-90.

Last edited: