Look at the Difference in Brass Softness!

I am just about to dabble in my first 7mm as soon as this CORONA crap dies down.
Have acquired a Rem 700 Sendero II in 7RM.
Of all the brass out there, what do you guys recommend and use?
Is Remington brass ok? I never had trouble with Remington brass yet in 300 Weatherby or 2506 or 308.

Cheers.

Looks like both cases are taking some pressure...I see ejector marks on both pieces?

The nosler case is showing ejector mark, and the primer is creator too. I also see possible ejector mark on the Fed case, but the primers isn't creator, just flat. That's where I stop at is with flatten primers, and no ejector marks. Creator primers to me are hot loads, and shouldn't be there. I generally start off with a latter tests and chronograph at the same time. That way I fine what the round is doing in velocity at the same time.

I'm not insinuating that there is anything wrong with the Nosler brass...I just posted what was a surprising result for me.

I forgot to add that the markings on the Norma brass that I fired was not as pronounced as what you see here on the Nosler, but was more than what I saw on the Federal's
Its because the Federal brass is very thin. The higher priced brass is much thicker and therefore is going need a little less powder to reach the same pressures as Federal, Winchester, Remington, and Hornady brass. For example I cannot load the same powder load in ADG brass for my 6.5 PRC as in Hornady brass. I will blow primers etc.

I think each rifle tells you when pressure is excessive once you know it's habits.
For example, my Win 70 in 375 Bee gets slight cratered primers when safe pressures are just passed. More powder then gets stiff bolt lift, flattened primers and ejector marks in most cases.

Cheers.

"Edd said:

yup, unless it's a rather long barreled 7rem... a 24" barrel should run around 3100 fps with a 150... I don't know why people run the 7rem at 80Kpsi (instead of running a 28nos or 7stw) then wonder why they get shiners on normal brass."

I agree that OP's listed load is showing pressure signs and he should back down 1-2 grains of powder. A 24" barreled 7mag should "run around 3100 fps with a 150". Really?

View attachment 191839

Nosler doesn't stop at 3100 and neither do I.
That's why I don't buy used trucks and used guns... someone is likely to beat them up...
As to Nosler, they use a test barrel in 7rem, and are over 100 fps hot compared to about every other book with a given bullet weight. I wouldn't try to make their speed in a factory rifle. I've gone to bigger cartridges in 7mm as they are easy to get decent speed without over-pressuring. My 7mag is my kid's gun; nothing more. I bought it on a whim because the creed he was using is rather much pedestrian.

That's why I don't buy used trucks and used guns... someone is likely to beat them up...
As to Nosler, they use a test barrel in 7rem, and are over 100 fps hot compared to about every other book with a given bullet weight. I wouldn't try to make their speed in a factory rifle. I've gone to bigger cartridges in 7mm as they are easy to get decent speed without over-pressuring. My 7mag is my kid's gun; nothing more. I bought it on a whim because the creed he was using is rather much pedestrian.
To each his own.

I am just about to dabble in my first 7mm as soon as this CORONA crap dies down.
Is Remington brass ok?

Cheers.

I've been reloading for the 7RM for a long time and have used every type of brass you could find ranging from cheap to the ultra expensive.
Started using ADG brass last year and have been through 5-6 loading cycles on my first batch and have no hesitation when I say it is BY FAR the best 7RM brass I've ever used! During load development on a new barrel a few months ago I pushed some of the loads really hard and primer pockets remained solid.

The nosler case is showing ejector mark, and the primer is creator too. I also see possible ejector mark on the Fed case, but the primers isn't creator, just flat. That's where I stop at is with flatten primers, and no ejector marks. Creator primers to me are hot loads, and shouldn't be there. I generally start off with a latter tests and chronograph at the same time. That way I fine what the round is doing in velocity at the same time.

Primer cratering is a poor indication of pressure IMO....Oversize firing pin holes will show "pressure" when in reality it's not.

Heavy bolt lift, especially with a click at the top and ejector marks are sure signs you either need to stop or you have gone to far.

Is Remington brass ok?

Cheers.
I recommend nosler, Norma and adg makes 7mm rem mag brass. I've used Remington but won't anymore unless it's the last resort. I ended up sorting 50pcs of rem brass into 7 different weight groups. Up to 7 grains weight spread. With 180s you are likely find two different nodes some where between 2800-2900 fps. Both nodes may be great, or one may be significantly better than the other. Some folks claim to get 3050 for with 180s, I can't but I probably don't have as much freebore as they do. Either way, 3050 with a 180 is hot or border line hot. I wouldn't chase after 3050 if signs are telling you to stop. Retumbo is my go to powder. Others have had great luck with h1000 & rl26. I see n570 as a possibility. I run 180 elds. I'm guessing you will find a sweet spot with the elds somewhere between .047-.060 from lands. In seating depth test I move in increments of .003.

In my experience Norma brass is significantly better than Federal. Currently loading for a buddy's 7mm Rem Mag and he has Federal brass. The primer pockets are loose after a few mild loads. My Dad uses Norma brass in his 7mmRM. With the same bullet and powder but 40fps faster, his Norma brass pockets are as tight at 10 firings as they were when new.
I always had problems with federal brass with loose primer pockets years ago and I have steered clear of it ever since, that was 15 years ago. has federal brass gotten any better! Cuz I just scrap em.

I always had problems with federal brass with loose primer pockets years ago and I have steered clear of it ever since, that was 15 years ago. has federal brass gotten any better! Cuz I just scrap em.
I use to use it in my .243 because I got a bunch of it cheap. It held up for 7-8 firings in it, but the primer pockets were smoked. This 7mm has zero pressure signs and this stuff is loose after 3-4 firings. It will probably go a few more, but I'd scrap it after that. I'm use to using much better stuff than this nowadays.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.