longrange with a 22LR how far have you push them

gun)I have western auto special that I use with a 3-9 power redfield and can hit a powerade bottle at 355 yards as many times you want but it wont even go trough the bottle beat that

Long Range 22 LR

I have done some testing using a Rem 40X with iron match sights. I got a 100 yard zero shooting Wolf Match Xtra. All shooting was done off a bi-pod & rear sand bag. To get to 200 yd. zero required 21 MOA.
From 100 - 300 required 40 MOA. From 100-400 required 73 MOA.
Semper Fi

My longest kill was near 350 yards using a 77/22 with yellow jacket ammo (I believe). That was a one time feat I made long ago. Target was a possum I paced the distence after the shot so it may have been closer to 325, as this was before lazer range finders. I just got real lucky, the bullet did not pass though the chest cavity but did enough damage or just hit in the right spot for a quick kill.

Since then Ive taken head shots on squirrel out to 85 yards using a 77/22 and federal 711B ammo.

Back when I was a kid, my friend and I would walk around his grandmother's farm. Both of us carrying Marlin model 60 semi-auto 22lr. We shot at ground-hogs whenever we discovered them out of their holes. ranges were 80-125 yards. We used to call it radar-shooting because we'd line up the verticial cross hair on their spine and bring the horizontal cross-hair down until it disappeared at the top of their head. Soon as it disappeared, we'd touch the trigger. Dropped them every time.

Used to shoot a .22lr Remington semi-auto. Could hit soda cans at 125 yards more times than not and hits from 250 yards were possible. That made me curious. I started incrementally shooting further and further away at targets.

Longest shooting was 476 yards (tape measured) (with hits). Target was a piece of stovepipe (hits were faint but audible) about 1 yard high and 8 inches across with a paper target fixed to it. Was shooting from a hybrid position to see over the weeds and stay out of the snow (squat with arms supported by legs) I could hold that light 22lr really well from that position, but I also remember that little gusts of wind would move me. Hits were not as common as misses, probably about a 5 to 10 mph wind (waited for calm before letting the shots go), about 6 hits out of 20 if I remember correctly.

I was using a 4X BB-gun scope, had to hold the target in the very bottom of the scope, with the thick line just to the right for windage. That put the cross-hairs around the top of a cliff on a hill behind the target.

Tried as far as 540 yards, but the vertical spread was ridiculous (shallow snow over sandy dirt made inspection possible) and the target was not visible with my setup (had to aim at a point on the hill above the target)!

That was long ago, and that .22lr was my only rifle at the time. After that I started memorizing ballistics tables and dreaming of long range shooting rigs :D

Last edited:
I like to shoot at 200 yards. I have probably shot more at 200 yards than 100 yards and under. I can do under 2" at 200 on a good day. My smallest group to date is .406". I am trying to get it on video. I have heard a lot about 300-400 yards and am eager to try it.:)

SScoyote, re your post back in 2007.

Let me say that I am not arguing nor do I want to. I just do not understand. I am a novice at this but interested in the long range shooting.

You said you told the kid to turn it down to 3x to get the holdover compensation he needed. Does this mean he is shooting a 3x magification or is there a way to take this finding back to 9x for the shot? I am afraid my old eyes couldn't come up with the resolution needed at 3x.

If this is a stupid question please chalk it up to my naivete and explain it for me.

Thanks for making things interesting.

John

John, it's important to understand that magnification is ~inversely proportional to reticle subtension [measurement] in variable-powered scopes. In other words if u have a 3-9x optic with a plex-style reticle that subtends 10 inch per hundred yds. from x-hair to plex post tip, then at 4.5x it will subtend 20 IPHY. As magnification DECREASES reticle subtension INCREASES, i.e. inversely proportional. It's not perfect since few power rings are that accurately calibrated, but it's usually very close.

John, take a look at these 2 videos that describe the system for variable-powered scopes [mostly the 2nd one]--

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNvJKBOpj08]Pt. 1) Reticle-Rangefinding Math - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEhoNaRi2s]Pt. 2) More Reticle-Rangefinding Math Including 2nd Focal Plane Reticles. - YouTube[/ame]

Oh and don't worry about it when it comes to understanding the math behind all this stuff. It took me a couple years before i became comfortable with it.

Okay, I've watched the two videos you referenced and a bunch of others. What are you aiming at with a two power scope when the target is a coffee cup? Can you see the cup at 300 yards? The can at 400?

I had excellent vision up to my mid-thirties and just can't remember what it was like. I do know that I stopped talking about what I could see because no one wanted to believe me. But I could find a tanker earlier by eyesight than I or anyone else could with the fighters radar. And I have watched a .22 bullet travel downrange to target impact at 100 yards.

I thought I saw you wearing glasses in the video so I was just kind of wondering if you could shed some light. I'll give you credit though, you have made it almost an obsession to find out what I can do with a .22.

Where did you find that range with targets arrayed out to 400 yards? Is it on public land or a private gun club range?
Thanks for all the information you are taking the time to share.

John

John-that's here in CO where i live.

John, the coffee cup was at 225 and can was 300.

I'm not sure what the subtension of that reticle's axis is at 2x, but interestingly it's actually quite fine, although thinking i could quarter that coffee cup at 225 yds. is a little pushing it, no doubt. Did u see the groups i was shooting with it at 150 yds. Heck they were all over the place, but then when i shot at 225 it seemed to be somwhat tighter. All 3 of those shots landed within 2ft of the tgt. It would be interesting to see what the actual group size is at that range. John set a McDonald's coffe cup up at 120 yds. against a light brown background and see if u can see it with your naked eye. Bet you can. That'd be the equivalent of a 2x at 225.

The important part of those Mk III videos is that a system of reference was established for those ranges that worked well. It wasn't really about what i was able to do on those LUCKY 1st shots. But the fact that 3-1st shots were made because a system was applied just drives the point home that the systems approach does work even with a funky Barska that has 90 MOA of useable adjustment just cryin' out to be researched. Turned out the turret was repeatable in that little Barska, and i learned that a finger-adjustable turret can be used for an improvised tgt. turret system, and is actually resettable.

The 300-yd. coke can was gonna be the real challenge, but it was easy to put the reticle's axis on it cause it was reflecting the sun perfectly, so i had a very defined aiming point. When we shot at 425, my buddy hit a basketball-size bush on the 1st shot and then we at least got close about 40% of the time, and THE BALLISTIC PROGRAM'S CALCS. WERE TRUE!! After we shot at 425 we cranked that Barska down to 25 MOA and shot a little bush at 200, then back to zero at 50, and it was perfect. So a regular optic can be applied as a long-range system even at a cheap 2x.

Oh yeah i ran that rig across the chronograph couple days ago for 1 shot and it was very close to the "generic 22 RF ballistics profile" at 1190 mv. (i used .1 BC at 1200).

One things' for sure John--bet you'll never look at a McDonald's coffee cup in the same light as you did before this thread, ehhh?...ha!

Last edited:
Coyote:

Let me tell you, it provides a mark to shoot for.

I took clay targets out to the 100 yard point on the range and strung them out at about the base to middle of the target stands. Then shot them and the pieces until I couldn't find any more at 9x with a BSA 22 special on the CZ452.

Thanks again for the info.

John

I love these 22lr posts, Len, use bird shot #4 ok!

I'm actually thinking about taking my nightforce off the Lapua and putting it on the CZ 22lr. I wonder what the guys at the club will think though?!

Be careful on crows I hear, you kill one and they know, could bring in a flock and they attack!

Or maybe I saw that in the movie "Birds?"

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.