Longest Big Game Kill With Rifle

In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?

• 0 to 200 yards

Votes: 1,160 26.4%
  • 201 to 400 yards

Votes: 1,438 32.7%
  • 401 to 600 yards

Votes: 1,020 23.2%
  • 601 to 800 yards

Votes: 460 10.5%
  • 801 to 1,000 yards

Votes: 168 3.8%
  • Over 1,000 yards

Votes: 153 3.5%

• Total voters
"In the past 12 months."--- So far, the longest "big game" kill this season was a "neck shot" on an elk @ 598 yards with a 300 RUM using a 180 Accubond over 100 grains of Retumbo @ 3,300 fps.

A little deviation form the original format. I was working as a big game guide in the Bob Marshal Wilderness area in the early 70's and had two hunters with me that day. We sit down for a little break and glassing when ka-boom. One of the guys was sitting a ways off and spots an elk across the draw almost a 1000 yards off and cuts loose with his 7MM Browning semi-auto. Takes me several minutes to figure out where he's shooting in some heavy timber. It was a father and son group and the father was in no condition for the trackdown ahead so I told them to wait there and they could guide me to the spot with hand signals and I'd ribbon the trail so they could follow after I got there. Well I got there and found blood but no elk. Did my tracking/ribbon tying thing for the next mile and 1/2 till I spotted the elk sill alive but not feeling well. He had shot it's lower jaw off. Not wanting to loose the elk I put the sneak on and finished it off with my .45 long colt Ruger. Had him dressed and ready to pack and a mile along the back trail before I came across the hunters following along. I was as glad to see them as they were me(not fun looking for lost hunters) and had to take them back to their trophy(very nice 5point) with no lower jaw. Long day for all three of us but I was much younger and in shape then. As for the long shot........1000yards with 7MM and mile and 1/2 with a .45 long Colt.

Antelope 386yds McGowan Pre 64 Model 70 .25-06 100gn Barnes TTSX Medicine Bow Wyoming.
BTL

Last edited:
520 YARDS -547 YARDS with my custom 7MM WSM -154 INTERBONDS & 3100+FPS H4831 -3.5-10 leopold -350 class bull- big -dark and heavy - with a cougar tooth grown ino his forehead -will try and post pictures. was with a bunch of cows, across a steep canyon -of my shooting sticks !
beboned- packed 4 large hauls of meat + full head for european mount -up hill through the blow down, old burn -what a mess! For just under a mile ! By my self ....know thats old scool !

Last edited:
About 250 yard bull moose in Northern BC. I used my .270 with blue box federal ammo (the cheap stuff) with only 130 grain soft point bullets. Nice big bull.

New Mexico cow elk 502 yrds. 7mm mag. 168gr. Berger Hunting VLD high shoulder shot dropped in her tracks. One pencil hole going in no exit hole insides look like a gernade went off. +1 for Berger Bullets!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.