Long throated 284 win in LA with 180s

AZShooter

Recently acquired a rifle a friend built and had just begun to work up loads back in 2009. It sat in his safe until two weeks ago. It is a Rem 700 LA in a Lilja SS fluted #5 28 1/2" 1 in 7 twist long throated with180s sitting in case boattail/bearing juncton just ahead of the case shoulder/body junction. OAL is 3.280"

First time at range yesterday. Working from data my friend had begun, tried RL-17 with 51 and 52 grains and H4831 Sc with 53 and 54 grains. Berger 180 hybrid target, Fed 210 M and neck turned win brass. Velocities are running between 2825 fps and 2890 fps. There seems to be a node around 2850 with both powders. Will be tweaking next session.

The reason I am posting this is the remarkable performance for such a small case. With the longer barrel it is very close to Rem 7 mag performance with a 24" barrel. The recoil is very tolerable with the 9 lb rifle.

I got this rifle because with its long action and standard bolt face. I wanted to rechamber it to 7mm RPM which would fit perfectly in this LA. I am waiting for Weatherby to produce this chambering which may happen according to rumors. Once brass and dies are in the market this rifle begs to be transformed. In the meantime it is lots of fun to shoot in this configuration.

Just thought I'd share.

got to love a long throated 284. for the handloader it is everything the 280 rem is and not far off the 280ai makes for a very useful hunting round with benchrest accuracy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.