Long term planning...?

emn83

So, Now that I'm in a relatively stable job I'm starting to do some semi-long term planning for a guided hunt...I just turned 30, and I would like to be in the position to give a hunt to myself as a 40th Birthday gift. I know it's a long time to do planning, But I figured if I get going now, I can start accumulating points so when the time comes I can have a decent chance at drawing a tag.

Here's some things I'm taking into account:

• want either Mule Deer or Elk
  • I have a .308 that I'm confident out to 400-500 yards working it out to 600 (looking to put together a 300WINMAG but no guarantees)
  • I can ride, lived on a farm
  • No state preference, but I do like the mountains
  • anything else I have forgotten

Basically this site has forced me to realize that I need to start taking things seriously as far as getting things figured out for a hunt, if I want to ensure that I can make it work. Just kind of looking to get pointed in the right direction so I can get this ball rolling

Re: Long term planning...guided hunt?

A plan is always good. You said states and thats OK, but don't exclude the Canadian provinces.

Just one note, even though I'm planning a 300 build, I'm not counting on that happening, so my .308Win would be my gun for the hunt.

just looking for some resources where I can start getting info and making a plan...want to have a plan in the next few months so I can start putting things together over the long haul.

just a thought. I'm looking at Wyoming for mule deer....how far ahead of time would I want to start working on accumulating preference points?

just a thought. I'm looking at Wyoming for mule deer....how far ahead of time would I want to start working on accumulating preference points?
For Mule Deer CO is probably the best state. There is a guide service in Montrose, we have hunted there twice, both for elk but. They usually take around 3-4 200"+ mule deer. Go to www.campdavidoutfitting.com

Just a thought, but instead of waiting 10 years to go on your "dream hunt," why not save up some money and do a DIY hunt in the next year or two. By the time you wait 10 years and save up the $5,000+ that you would spend on a guide, you could have done 5+ DIY hunts. Again, just a thought, but wouldn't you rather have 5 hunts with some success than 1 hunt with success?

For example, Colorado has a ton of units that are available on an over-the-counter basis. You could hunt both mule deer AND elk in a lot of them as well... gun)

Just a thought, but instead of waiting 10 years to go on your "dream hunt," why not save up some money and do a DIY hunt in the next year or two. By the time you wait 10 years and save up the $5,000+ that you would spend on a guide, you could have done 5+ DIY hunts. Again, just a thought, but wouldn't you rather have 5 hunts with some success than 1 hunt with success?

For example, Colorado has a ton of units that are available on an over-the-counter basis. You could hunt both mule deer AND elk in a lot of them as well... gun)

Thats a cool idea, one ill have to think about. My only problem is, i jist started my job as a teacher and need to build up the vacation time. Ill br looking into that though, now tha tyou brought it up. Thanks for the idea! Will start researching that.

It's just an idea, but if it were me, I'd rather spend a lot more time in the woods! Even if you were to drive out on a Friday and come back on a Monday, leaving only two days to hunt, it still beats waiting 10 years to get in the woods! Plus, being a teacher, you have a lot of 'free' time in the summer to get some scouting in :)

It's just an idea, but if it were me, I'd rather spend a lot more time in the woods! Even if you were to drive out on a Friday and come back on a Monday, leaving only two days to hunt, it still beats waiting 10 years to get in the woods! Plus, being a teacher, you have a lot of 'free' time in the summer to get some scouting in :)

you're killing me dude. I just contacted a guy I know about getting going into looking at a DIY hunt. Thanks...I think...:D

People can say what they want about teachers having it made because they have summers off, but that doesn't do any good when they have to be in the classroom during most of the big game hunting seasons out west. If he's in MN, there is no way he will work in any scouting other than during the summer months. As far as going out there hunting, unless he can find a season that is open during one of his vacation periods he's screwed there. A good deer hunt now is $3,500 to over $5K for a 5 day hunt and that is on the low side for an elk hunt. Lord knows what it will cost in ten years and what opportunities will be there the way things are going. I would suggest buying a PP each year during the Wyoming application period of 7/1-9/30 because you'll need all you can get for a decent area by the time you go. Deer are $40, elk are $50, and you may even want to buy antelope PPs for $30. An antelope hunt is usually the cheapest way to get out west for a minimal amount of money on a DIY trip to get your feet wet.

Hahaha! Well I just know that it would kill me to sit around planning a hunt for 10 years! I am already chomping at the bit for this year.

There is a lot of information out there that you can use to plan ahead of time. Check out the Colorado DOW website, Colorado Parks and Wildlife | Colorado Parks and Wildlife. You can find a lot of information as far as which units have over the counter tags available, success rates, etc. If you start there, it will help lead you to the correct areas. From there, it is about doing more research: using google earth, buying maps, etc. Check out America's #1 Online Resource For Elk Hunters too. There is a bunch of information there including a forum with a lot of knowledgeable folks.

Good luck with everything! Let me know if you have any questions too. I live in CO and have been deer and elk hunting here for the past 17 years, so anything more I can do to help!

People can say what they want about teachers having it made because they have summers off, but that doesn't do any good when they have to be in the classroom during most of the big game hunting seasons out west. If he's in MN, there is no way he will work in any scouting other than during the summer months. As far as going out there hunting, unless he can find a season that is open during one of his vacation periods he's screwed there. A good deer hunt now is $3,500 to over $5K for a 5 day hunt and that is on the low side for an elk hunt. Lord knows what it will cost in ten years and what opportunities will be there the way things are going. I would suggest buying a PP each year during the Wyoming application period of 7/1-9/30 because you'll need all you can get for a decent area by the time you go. Deer are $40, elk are $50, and you may even want to buy antelope PPs for $30. An antelope hunt is usually the cheapest way to get out west for a minimal amount of money on a DIY trip to get your feet wet.

That's a lot of what I was saying. He can come out in the summers to scout, even though that isn't 'ideal' it still gets you a good feel for an area. Then he can come out for a long weekend and do a DIY hunt for a lot less than the $3,500+ you would pay for an outfitter. 2 days of vacation time (Friday before the hunt, Monday after the hunt) would get him 2+ days of hunting. Not a lot, but better than waiting 10 years to hunt one time if you ask me :)

By the way, preference points in Colorado are $13 each for Deer and Elk if you decide to go that route.

Thanks Guys. I'm definitely looking at buying PP for WY and probably CO...my way of looking at it is, I can always do both if I get lucky enough!

i earn 2 personal days a year, so if I don't take any next year, or the following, I'll have 5 saved up...took one this year....looking at using personal time for a hunt and getting a sub.

I'm still very early in the planning stages for this because, I want to make sure it happens, a Elk or High country Mule Deer hunt is on my bucket list, I'd be thrilled to be able to do either.

Thanks for the insights guys, and if you have any more please share...for me, learning is half the fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.