2019 Hunting Plans?

Guy M

Bought my Washington license & tags, as well as some applications for "special tags." I'm hunting local here this year, no big trips planned out of state.

Mule Deer, rifle. Likely the 30-06 or 25-06 again, they both work great.

Elk, archery... Hoping to zap a nice fat cow elk and fill the freezer again. If successful, will be my first elk with a bow!

Black bear... Kinda getting the itch to hunt another bear, it's been a couple of years since I made a serious effort at it... I'll likely use the 375 Number One again, it just works out real well for bear.

And of course upland birds with Clark the bird dog!
smiley.png
12 gauge primary, bow secondary.

Should be fun! Will have to see if I draw any special tags. If so that could alter my plans a bit, but I'll still stay here in Washington. Saving my money and selling some seldom-used guns for another "big" hunt someplace. Turning 63 soon, and want to get at least one or two more "big" hunts in. Possibly Canada or Alaska for moose/caribou, possibly Africa for plains game! I'd like to do both. Not sure my wallet can handle that. MAYBE 2020 for the big hunt, more likely 2021.

You guys?

Guy

I'm a bit longer in the tooth at 73. Trying to draw an elk tag in Nevada before I check out. But that seems IMPOSSIBLE in this state!! If not I'll just take my trailer & go to help out my friends. Same as last year!! We always need a "camp bitch". LOL

BW

It's safe to say, neither my wife or I will be hunting Mountain Goat or Bighorn Sheep.....as we didn't try to draw a license. I "screwed-up" my back, was concerned about my recovery.....and didn't want to draw a "very" difficult tag and not be physically capable of making the hunt.

That said, we try for....antelope, deer (mule or whitetail), elk, bear, mt. lion, wolf! Firearms will be our usual (20 + years with same) rifles, and perhaps my handgun! memtb

Also getting long in tooth at 69 for hunt but walking training started weeks ago and feel pretty good. Colorado 2nd season DIY OTC bull, put in for mule buck and think I will draw due to a lot of points in the mix. Bow/Gun hunt MI and IN for whitetail. Shoulder surgery Dec 3, 2018 recovery going great in PT. Actually getting deeper into weight training in PT now. Was pleased that last week I was pulling 50# 2 sets sets of 25 on chest press machine with absolutely no pulls or tugs etc in shoulder with ease I might add. Rt shoulder had a bone cyst that detached all 4 rotator tendons and bicep tendon, bone spurs and labrum cleanup other than that it was fine!:eek:. Using lead sled for range work now but I think it won't be long to get back to shooting normally etc off cross sticks whatever. Shot this buck last year Nov. 14th with no shoulder so I hope my surgery will at least eliminate ungodly pain pulling bow back even at reduced poundage of 62lb. It was 17 degrees when I shot this guy but my hat was soaking wet after the shot. Gee I wonder why? Ever wonder why certain things happen? Look where he fell. Getting him out of 10' deep irrigation clay ditch with no rt shoulder was truly a wonderful time.
Muddy

Attachments

• 20181114_113716.jpg
    20181114_113716.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 247
  • 20181114_110740.jpg
    20181114_110740.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 281
Had a good quail season...

Put in for RM sheep--in MT, NV, NM, OR, ID,CO, UT...just like i always do year 11 I think...

I put in for Desert Bighorn in...NV, AZ, NM, CO, UT....like I always do

I put in for Ibex in New Mexico

Elk in various states, do some Texas draws too..

Axis and a few hogs in the summer

Dove season....

Might get a Nilgai...

Going to Kergezistan to shoot a Mid-Asian ibex in October. Whitetail, Aoudad, in the fall...should be a good year.

Last edited:
Bought my Washington license & tags, as well as some applications for "special tags." I'm hunting local here this year, no big trips planned out of state.

Mule Deer, rifle. Likely the 30-06 or 25-06 again, they both work great.

Elk, archery... Hoping to zap a nice fat cow elk and fill the freezer again. If successful, will be my first elk with a bow!

Black bear... Kinda getting the itch to hunt another bear, it's been a couple of years since I made a serious effort at it... I'll likely use the 375 Number One again, it just works out real well for bear.

And of course upland birds with Clark the bird dog!
smiley.png
12 gauge primary, bow secondary.

Should be fun! Will have to see if I draw any special tags. If so that could alter my plans a bit, but I'll still stay here in Washington. Saving my money and selling some seldom-used guns for another "big" hunt someplace. Turning 63 soon, and want to get at least one or two more "big" hunts in. Possibly Canada or Alaska for moose/caribou, possibly Africa for plains game! I'd like to do both. Not sure my wallet can handle that. MAYBE 2020 for the big hunt, more likely 2021.

You guys?

Guy
Hoping to pull tags for one of South Dakota's six different whitetail seasons but I drew tags last year so it's a real long shot. Might attempt to re-try bow hunting for a whitetail as I married into a family with lots of prime farm land but 5 years in a row without ever even drawing my bow in the field has my motivation low for bow hunting. Other than that I'll help my family guide pheasant hunts again when the season rolls around and load the freezer up with lots of pheasant (our out of state hunters rarely take their birds home).

Will be hunting Montana(home state). I purchased a new bow this year and got days off from work lined up all ready to hunt the elk rut. Put in for mule deer trophy unit(I drew this tag last year and got a Muley that scored 164 1/2). Put in for moose(I have 11 bonus points) first year putting in for big horn sheep and applied for bison.

Attachments

• 6E43EB5F-91D4-4370-B946-A16B5322C84E.png
    6E43EB5F-91D4-4370-B946-A16B5322C84E.png
    478.1 KB · Views: 209
I leave first of May for Kamchatka peninsula for brown bear then straight to Kuiu island Alaska for black bear. Have a deer tag for Montana this fall. See if we can find any pheasants in Montana also them home to Michigan for deer and turkeys. Should be a busy year

We drew Wy. unit 38 for rifle elk. Used our 10 pts and sure hope I picked the right unit. My son and I both have new 28 noslers built by Nathan Dagley here in North Dakota. Need to get working on loads for them.
You guys are doing great, I sure hope I can be still hunting in the mountains at 60 & 70 years of age. Turned 52 last February and I can really feel some of them bronc rides starting to catch up to me.
HUNT LONG AND HARD!!!!! Good luck and be safe.
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.