Long term planning...?

Re: Long term planning...guided hunt?

OK, so I'm looking at CO and WY for hunts....leaning toward high country mule deer. I was looking at the preference point information, since I'm leaning toward that route. I need some help figuring out where to look as far as area...since the apps ask for that. I don't need specifics, just wondering where might be good areas in general to put in PP for. Thanks

OK, so I'm looking at CO and WY for hunts....leaning toward high country mule deer. I was looking at the preference point information, since I'm leaning toward that route. I need some help figuring out where to look as far as area...since the apps ask for that. I don't need specifics, just wondering where might be good areas in general to put in PP for. Thanks

***Don't know where you came up with that idea as neither CO or WY requires you to do anything but buy the PP until the year you actually apply for a given unit with those PPs! Colorado has a code to do that and In Wyoming you just go online between 7/1-9/30, go into your account or start one if you have never been there before, and then just click on which animal(s) you want to buy the PP for and pay by credit card ($30 for antelope, $40 for deer, and $50 for elk).

***Don't know where you came up with that idea as neither CO or WY requires you to do anything but buy the PP until the year you actually apply for a given unit with those PPs! Colorado has a code to do that and In Wyoming you just go online between 7/1-9/30, go into your account or start one if you have never been there before, and then just click on which animal(s) you want to buy the PP for and pay by credit card ($30 for antelope, $40 for deer, and $50 for elk).

website was hard to understand...and my brain is stuck in special Ed mode from teaching...thanks

I can't tell you which areas to hunt, but I would talk to a few outfitters and find out what options are available and what areas they hunt. If you can't decide between DIY and guided, some outfitters offer semi-guided hunts as a more affordable option. They can help you get the tags, drop you off in a good area with the equipment you need, pick you up when the hunt is over, and help pack out your animal.

Good luck and happy hunting :)

P.S. I forgot to mention, if you haven't read either of Mike Eastman's deer and elk hunting books, I highly recommend them. They both have excellent info regarding animal behavior, hunting tactics, and most importantly for you, strategies for locating good hunting areas and drawing tags for them.

I can't tell you which areas to hunt, but I would talk to a few outfitters and find out what options are available and what areas they hunt. If you can't decide between DIY and guided, some outfitters offer semi-guided hunts as a more affordable option. They can help you get the tags, drop you off in a good area with the equipment you need, pick you up when the hunt is over, and help pack out your animal.

Good luck and happy hunting :)

P.S. I forgot to mention, if you haven't read either of Mike Eastman's deer and elk hunting books, I highly recommend them. They both have excellent info regarding animal behavior, hunting tactics, and most importantly for you, strategies for locating good hunting areas and drawing tags for them.

Thanks for the advice. One or 2 of the outfitters I looked at offer drop camps as a less expensive option, it's something I'm looking into. I'll check out those books...don't have much else to do for at least the next few weeks, up here on the Range.

kind of been starting to look at outfitters...assuming prices will go up before I get a hunt, if I go that way, I've been really looking at Mule Creek Outfitters in WY and Hubbard Creek Outfitters in CO. Anybody have opinions on them? I'm also looking at doing a drop camp versus a fully guided hunt...Mule deer has all of a sudden become a fascinating hunt for me...I'm not sure why

kind of been starting to look at outfitters...assuming prices will go up before I get a hunt, if I go that way, I've been really looking at Mule Creek Outfitters in WY and Hubbard Creek Outfitters in CO. Anybody have opinions on them? I'm also looking at doing a drop camp versus a fully guided hunt...Mule deer has all of a sudden become a fascinating hunt for me...I'm not sure why
Man let's snap back to reality ! there is no garentee we will be hunting in 10 years or even alive for that matter . I am making my 4th DIY elk hunting trip this year ! here is how it breaks down

Gas both ways for 1200 miles is $500 round trip.
Over the counter Bull elk tag is $579
Groceries for my self for 9-10 days $125
Eats on the road $75
Grand total $1279

If you have clothes for Minn. you have clothes for ColoradoI have found that though specialized equipment is nice it is not an absolute must .
I sleep in a $59 tent with a $10 dollar tarp stretched accross it .
A cot is nice but a piece of egg rack foam will do just fine .
Eating out of a can is economical and storage is easy.
The 308 with a 180 load will do for elk .
We ( I) typically camp where we park the truck and walk from there.

My point is you do not have to spend a mint to have a great hunt. I take great pride in doing it all my self.
I can tell you that you will not regret taking this adventure upon your self .
As for days off " buck fever " is a legitimate sickness.
I have had to get a little creative to make these trips work in the past .
I once cut fire wood one summer to make a trip.
My point is with a little planning there is very little that canot be over came.
If you are seriously considering this message me with any issues that I may offer a solution .

Man let's snap back to reality ! there is no garentee we will be hunting in 10 years or even alive for that matter . I am making my 4th DIY elk hunting trip this year ! here is how it breaks down

Gas both ways for 1200 miles is $500 round trip.
Over the counter Bull elk tag is $579
Groceries for my self for 9-10 days $125
Eats on the road $75
Grand total $1279

If you have clothes for Minn. you have clothes for ColoradoI have found that though specialized equipment is nice it is not an absolute must .
I sleep in a $59 tent with a $10 dollar tarp stretched accross it .
A cot is nice but a piece of egg rack foam will do just fine .
Eating out of a can is economical and storage is easy.
The 308 with a 180 load will do for elk .
We ( I) typically camp where we park the truck and walk from there.

My point is you do not have to spend a mint to have a great hunt. I take great pride in doing it all my self.
I can tell you that you will not regret taking this adventure upon your self .
As for days off " buck fever " is a legitimate sickness.
I have had to get a little creative to make these trips work in the past .
I once cut fire wood one summer to make a trip.
My point is with a little planning there is very little that canot be over came.
If you are seriously considering this message me with any issues that I may offer a solution .

Thanks for the reality check...LOL...sometimes I need to remember, that planning a cheaper shorter term hunt would save me money, and likely give me a chance at more than one hunt.

Thanks for the input. a DIY hunt is still something I'm looking at, if I can make time for scouting between honeydo projects in the summer. I think confidence in myself getting everyting set is the main thing holding me back from just going the DIY route, which sounds like a blast....then again, doing the planning, for me, is part of the fun.

I go back and forth between Deer and elk every other week it seems like.

looking at new load development for my.308 with some 185 or 190 heavies for LR comp, so I might just make a hunting load too.

I have been on three guided hunts. Two to NM and one to BC. I have not seen a legal bull on any hunt. I have DIY to Wyoming 7 times have filled a tag every time. A general hunt tag in Wyoming will take two or three PP's to draw. Last year we saw two 180+ bucks during the deer season (I was hunting elk). A great place to go. Remember you can buy a PP in Wyoming in July for a reasonable price. You do not have to apply to get a PP

One other thought since you are short on time is to pick up a Bow and come to Arizona to hunt over Christmas break. That tag is only $300 and you don't need to use any time off since your on winter break.

I'm looking at planning for mid-october, if the season lines up right...I have a 4 day weekend then that I can tack 3 personal; days on to either side of for a total 7 day trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.