Long range with 22LR

video
video
video

how do you range your target ?
and how do you shoot ie off a bench bipod
i would love to see a video
can you put up your drop table so i can try it with my 22 as im a newbee and never shot it pas 50 yards and dont know how far it will drop

Sav 300 , You crack me up.This post is a complete waste of time and space on this website. What ever Magnus bets, I'll double it!!

First we must have a bet as there isn't one yet. I'm currently trying to rig everything up and will make a video asap for all of you.

Second I do not have a drop chart and even if I did have one it wouldn't be the same in your gun considering barrel length and terrain. Also I do not know the BC of the bullets I am shooting. They are either Federal 36gr HP or CCI Stingers.

I assure you 100% that there is no BS in this post. You can believe what you wish.

sav300

The approximate BC of the Stinger is going to be about 0.084 - Very Very low.
Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
sighting in at 100 yards ( the most you would be able to is about 150 with a standard 22 scope). you would be hitting no less than 360 feet low. Oh, and the maximum distance that bullet could possibly travel is only about 1400 yards at a 70 degree angle. All of these calculations were from JBM. I don't like to call people BS'ers, but I think it's getting a little deep here.

High velocity (supersonic) .22 ammo goes transonic at around 80-100 yards, if anyone is interested

Ok I guess I'd better ask a Q as of why you all believe that I am full of it. Is it that you don't believe I have shot that far? That the bullet will not make it? Or that I can establish a group?

Do remember that I'm not saying its "accurate" or that I am. I am simply saying that I have and do shoot that far with the 22LR (95% of the time using only standard rounds) and can hold my own when doing so. There is no MOA grouping or anything close to that. The only thing I said that could cause disbelief is that on a "REALLY" good day I can probly print a 2ft group.

As for the drop I am not adjusting my scope one bit. I leave it as it is and turn my magnification to its lowest to establish the correct hold. And at 750yds I can put my target at the bottom of the scope and hit it (pending size). Where I shoot 750 is a slight down hill shot or across a bowl.

Now I have one last thing, why is it that you all jump to the gun to say "you cant do that" or "what a bunch of BS" when you haven't even attempted such a thing to even see if I actually am feeding you BS. I'm not trying to act as if I know everything or attempt to be cocky, but simply asking if any of you have ever tried or do this.

stop picking on him guys
dont listen to them

sav300 are you going to put up a video for us please

how do you get your range ?
can you do a how to video so others can learn from it not just you shooting , but how you do it

What 22 have you got ?
what kinda of scope and any other mods?

what do you use for a target ?

how did you learn to do it ?

how far have you shot the 22 and what could you hit ?

how far have you hunted with it and whats your longest kill ?

Now I have one last thing, why is it that you all jump to the gun to say "you cant do that" or "what a bunch of BS" when you haven't even attempted such a thing to even see if I actually am feeding you BS. I'm not trying to act as if I know everything or attempt to be cocky, but simply asking if any of you have ever tried or do this.

Because many of the shooters on this forum a pretty serious about LR shooting and have a better understanding of exterior ballistics than you do regarding how to load your 22LR

Post a vid, or better yet take up gamedog on this offer and prove it..... ya know "walk the talk"...

Last edited:
I see things happen all the time that I thought were impossible. This would be one of those occasions. I hunt with an old 280 a good bit and it has a 3x9 vx2. I only have enough scope adjustment to get it to hit about 4 inches low at 500 yards. When I get ready to shoot it at my 700 yard steel I leave my 100 yard zero alone crank the power down to 4 and aim with the bottom of the duplex. I get about 16 MOA by doing this. I do not think you would get more than 6 times this by aiming with the bottom of the scope. That would probably give you about 96 MOA. I am not saying you cant do it but where are you getting the extra MOA?

OK, for this to be possible, he must be able to see almost 600 MOA in his scope. Not sure of what scope he uses, but a standard Burris FFII at 3x has a FOV of 33 feet at 100 yards. Cut that in half and you have a FOV below the horizontal crosshair. Multiply this half-FOV by 12 and you have roughly 198 MOA to work with. I'm seeing that it takes 210 MOA to get a Stinger to get to 750 yards, and about 219 MOA for a standard round. So it is possible if you had a scope with a slightly bigger FOV, in fact depending on his scope it might be just about 210-219 MOA.

Tyler you are a very intelligent young man. You made me realize that my estimation is totally wrong. I would probably get 12x16MOA rather than 6x16MOA.

OK, I tried it and here's what I got at 500 yards.
22 lr.jpg
The target is a full size steel IPSC target, roughly 18x24 inches. I moved back to 700 yards and the bullet didn't hit the dirt (dry and dusty) with enough authority for me to get an indication of where I was hitting. I gave up on the 700 yard effort with disgust. If I can find a dusty spot totally devoid of grass and other growth, I'll try it again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.