Long Range thick skin bullets

If the guy who was shooting is used to Barnes but wanted a longer range bullet the Barnes 280 LRX would be something he'd be comfortable with yet give him a range boost and not put him or the bullet in a position he's not used to.

I am just getting the reports back from Alaska now. They got the moose took three shots. 338 lapua mag at 2900 fps. I was advised that the bullets split in half and lost penetration. No war is intended just giving a report from the field. This guy wants to shoot a water buffalo with this rifle and is unhappy with the bullets results. I have no experience with game of this size. Looking for a bullet that can keep some long range ability but perform on big animals.

Post #9 Kirby

Water Buff, and sounds like they want to use the 338 LM

Post #9 Kirby

Water Buff, and sounds like they want to use the 338 LM

Water buff, not sure I would recommend the Accubond. This is one of those cases that me personally would give up some long range ballistic performance for better close range terminal performance.

Penetration is key with these big critters so if the bullet does not get through the vitals, we have trouble on our hands. Personally, I would look hard at the 285 gr TSX or the 280 gr LRX for this use. The 275 gr Swift A-Frame would also be a great choice. Again, our main goal is penetration above all else, break down the critter at the same time you drive a bullet through the vitals so I would really have to go with a heavy barnes or a Swift A-Frame and again, live with the fact that your giving up some range for better penetration and close range terminal performance.

I am personally not a huge fan of long range dangerous game hunting. Now I am not one to demand that you need to get within 50 yards to place your shot. There is no reason that a well place shot can not be made out to 300-400 yards, but 1/2 mile shots on dangerous game can result in some serious problems.

My personal opinion would be to step up in caliber to be honest. The 338 is a great chambering and it will certainly do anything you need but the 375 cal would give you a more authoritative impact on heavy game. I just tested the 350 gr TSX in my 375 AX and at 1000 yards, it shot extremely well and its a VERY long, heavy bullet for the 375 cal. I would recommend at least a 375 RUM to drive this bullet weight or larger.

The 300 gr Swift A-Frame would also be a great buff hammer.

Water buff, not sure I would recommend the Accubond. This is one of those cases that me personally would give up some long range ballistic performance for better close range terminal performance.

Penetration is key with these big critters so if the bullet does not get through the vitals, we have trouble on our hands. Personally, I would look hard at the 285 gr TSX or the 280 gr LRX for this use. The 275 gr Swift A-Frame would also be a great choice. Again, our main goal is penetration above all else, break down the critter at the same time you drive a bullet through the vitals so I would really have to go with a heavy barnes or a Swift A-Frame and again, live with the fact that your giving up some range for better penetration and close range terminal performance.

I am personally not a huge fan of long range dangerous game hunting. Now I am not one to demand that you need to get within 50 yards to place your shot. There is no reason that a well place shot can not be made out to 300-400 yards, but 1/2 mile shots on dangerous game can result in some serious problems.

My personal opinion would be to step up in caliber to be honest. The 338 is a great chambering and it will certainly do anything you need but the 375 cal would give you a more authoritative impact on heavy game. I just tested the 350 gr TSX in my 375 AX and at 1000 yards, it shot extremely well and its a VERY long, heavy bullet for the 375 cal. I would recommend at least a 375 RUM to drive this bullet weight or larger.

The 300 gr Swift A-Frame would also be a great buff hammer.

I agree with you 100%. This was my recommendation in post #19

If I ever go hunt water buff, this is the medicine I will use...

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - FN Solids, the ultimate dangerous game bullet.

or this...

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - HV Bullets

In this spec...

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

or maybe these...

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...on&key=MTH_L14

Bergers for buff.... not me...:rolleyes::cool:

And the choice of cal is 375. My first pick would be the FN style bullets. IMO, Water Buff is not LR game and a special bullet and load should be used for them. I was just answering the OP's question.

Nor was I attacking you in any way either.

My main issue with this entire post is that when we get down to the brass tacks, we pretty much all agree on the basis of this post. I think tempers got flamed, mostly misunderstandings at least on my part and again, that was not my intention or desire.

Appreciate your comments Kirby. Thank you. The air is clear between us.

My objection to the Thread was that a member ought to be able to post an experience, comment on that experience, and ask for assistance without getting beat up. I know you agree with that based on my observations of your posts over the years. And you've already stated as much in this Thread.

So thanks again for the comments, and also their influence in bringing this discussion back down to planet earth.

I agree with you 100%. This was my recommendation in post #19

And the choice of cal is 375. My first pick would be the FN style bullets. IMO, Water Buff is not LR game and a special bullet and load should be used for them. I was just answering the OP's question.

Agree with all you have mentioned!! I was just adding a bit more to compliment what was already recommended.

Appreciate your comments Kirby. Thank you. The air is clear between us.

My objection to the Thread was that a member ought to be able to post an experience, comment on that experience, and ask for assistance without getting beat up. I know you agree with that based on my observations of your posts over the years. And you've already stated as much in this Thread.

So thanks again for the comments, and also their influence in bringing this discussion back down to planet earth.

I could not agree more and next time it happens, I need to make sure that my replies are 100% supporting and constructive so that its less likely they can be taken in a way that I did not intend, again I accept my full share of this misunderstanding and fires that got flamed.

I would very much like if Stenger would come back to the post and give us a chance to talk about bullet choices for his Buff question. If he does not, I can certainly understand why and for my part of that, Again, I apologize.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.