Long range 8mm bullets???

archeratlrg

I've several 8mm's and the newest additions are 8mm/375 Hornady and 8mm/7mm Jarrett or 300 Win Mag Imp. Since Berger doesn't make a 8mm round, any suggestions? I currently shoot Barnes ttsx in 160, 180, and tsx in 200 gr. I was thinking the Sierra 220 gr. but it may be a bit on the heavy side. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi have a look at Norma ORYX projectiles they hang together and mushroom real good.

I think nosler came out with a 200gr custom competition last year...decent bc if i remember right

Thanks Lloyd...So what kind of 8mm mag do you have and what kind of velocities are you getting with the 220 grain? I did use some while fireforming my 8mm-06 Ackley and the one animal I shot with it, I had no bloodshot meat unlike with lighter weight bullets/higher velocities.

I shoot it at about 2900 fps. The gun is one from the original run of bdls that rem did back in the day. Only thing i did to it was replace the bdl stock with a cdl stock and floated and bedded it and did a trigger job on it. Kind of embarasing but the only thing ive ever shot with it are whitetails. I did take one at just over 500 yards last year with it though. Like you ive found the 220 not to damaging on meat. It to tear up less then the 200 partition did. Ive got some of the lighter etip noslers loaded up. I think they were 170 or 180 grain to try. As a matter of fact i was going to head to the range today to see how they shot if it doesnt rain.

Looks like hornady came out with a 196 grain match projectile for the 8mm with a BC of .525. That's about as good as it gets. I wish Berger or Cutting Edge Bullets would make a high B.C. 8mm offering (is anybody listening?)....those 8mm wildcats or even the venerable 8mm Rem mag are so under-appreciated and really great guns. I wish I would have snapped up some of those Lost River Ballistic Technologies projectiles for the 8mm years ago before they closed up shop. The matchkings @2800'ish fps give un-satisfactory accuracy in my customized BDL (I'm talking 2 1/2" groups at 100), while the 160 grain ttsx's are ragged one hole @ 100 yards.

Look no further than two new bullets that are now available from Cutting Edge Bullets .....

The 225 gr MTH for standard 10 twist barreled factory rifles
The 256 gr MTH for custom builds with 9 twist barrels ........

These two bullets are current developements by Cutting Edge Bullets in response to shooters concerns about the lack of high bc long range hunting bullets in 8mm/.323 cal .....

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=3231

https://m.facebook.com/CuttingEdgeB...992197607815/?type=1&ref=m_notif&notif_t=like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 192
Look no further than two new bullets that are now available from Cutting Edge Bullets .....

The 225 gr MTH for standard 10 twist barreled factory rifles
The 256 gr MTH for custom builds with 9 twist barrels ........

These two bullets are current developements by Cutting Edge Bullets in response to shooters concerns about the lack of high bc long range hunting bullets in 8mm/.323 cal .....

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=3231

https://m.facebook.com/CuttingEdgeB...992197607815/?type=1&ref=m_notif&notif_t=like

Wow, I never consider an 8mm due to lack of high BC bullets but that is a game changer. now the 300RUM or 26 Nosler case would be interesting!

I developed two wildcats in my process to convince CEB to create these bullets , of course I wanted the heavy bullet first but understood the valid argument and facts that another member here presented during our 375 cal bullet debates !

the 225 gr MTH came first and was the logical choice due to the obvious need for performance enhancement in factory rifles chambered in 8mm Rem Mag and 325 WSM ....

I was concerned that Cutting Edge might not be swayed to do a heavier higher bc bullet but Dan was on board immediately and wasted no time in getting his bullet engineers to answer my call and the bullet design is exactly as I had envisioned ....

Cutting Edge has sent me the first 100 pcs of the 225 gr MTH bullets to establish a known bc for it but their speed in producing the bullets caught me unprepared as I have yet to receive the headspace gauge for the wildcat cartridge 8mm Long Range Hunter I tweaked of the 338 and 300 Norma Mag case .....

Same thing just happened with the 256 gr bullets, CEB is in fast track to spin me the first 500 pcs and I'll have the bullets well before my 8mm Vampyre reamer/gauge and 9 twist barrel show up !

All the other bullet manufacturers I contacted about developing new high bc 8mm bullets declined or did not respond ..... Although I must give Berger Bullets thumbs up for having an interest , Mr. Eric Stecker responded personally to my inquiry and assured me they have full intention of developing a Berger 8mm bullet in the near future !

These current events have convinced me that I must put a full stop on purchasing bullets from other manufacturers and concentrate on building up my inventory of CEB bullets and proceed with load developement for all my wildcats ......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 694
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.