Long range slug hunting birds

LRshooter6.5

I'm sure some people will have VERY strong opinions about this….and if you do that's fine but let's keep it on topic and not about how stupid or unsportsmanlike it would be…

Does anyone have experience with hunting turkey, upland birds and/or waterfowl with a slug gun like the Savage 220? Does it damage the meat if you go for a high shoulder/wing shot? What distances can you expect a clean kill without causing much damage to the meat?

I'm sure some people will have VERY strong opinions about this….and if you do that's fine but let's keep it on topic and not about how stupid or unsportsmanlike it would be…

Does anyone have experience with hunting turkey, upland birds and/or waterfowl with a slug gun like the Savage 220? Does it damage the meat if you go for a high shoulder/wing shot? What distances can you expect a clean kill without causing much damage to the meat?

I've killed a lot of grouse with my hunting rifle while hunting deer/elk! Picked my shots carefully (close range) and head shot them…..zero meat loss, with zero wounded/escapes! 🙂

You must compensate for the bore being at least 1 1/2" below the cross hairs and aim high…..fail at this, and you don't eat grouse that night! 😉 ☹️ A friend of mine always forgot this…..we never ate any of his grouse! ☹️ 😂 I did that with my first attempt…..but, I'm a quick learner! 😉

I can't confess to taking any waterfowl……as it's illegal to shoot waterfowl with a rifle, ya know! 😉 memtb

I can't imagine there being any meaningful distance advantage to a slug. I'd use a 22LR over a slug gun.
Can't shoot Sandhill crane, duck, geese, or pheasants with a 22lr in Wyoming. Talked to a game warden and he said slugs were legal for upland bird and waterfowl

I've killed a lot of grouse with my hunting rifle while hunting deer/elk! Picked my shots carefully (close range) and head shot them…..zero meat loss, with zero wounded/escapes! 🙂

You must compensate for the bore being at least 1 1/2" below the cross hairs and aim high…..fail at this, and you don't eat grouse that night! 😉 ☹️ A friend of mine always forgot this…..we never ate any of his grouse! ☹️ 😂 I did that with my first attempt…..but, I'm a quick learner! 😉

I can't confess to taking any waterfowl……as it's illegal to shoot waterfowl with a rifle, ya know! 😉 memtb
What was close range for you?

What was close range for you?

Usually less than 25 feet!

If the waterfowl is sitting on the water at distance…..be sure to hold far enough below the bird for your trajectory at that range! Or so I've been told ……by a friend! 😉

A high powered rifle round just beneath a bird sitting on the water, will very effectively kill the bird without meat damage. Failing to hold low enough…..no duck for Duck Gumbo! According to my friend! 😉 memtb

Curious what the reason on wanting to use a slug would be, I can't think of any advantage it would provide?

Curious what the reason on wanting to use a slug would be, I can't think of any advantage it would provide?
I'm tossing around the idea of hunting pheasants, duck, geese, Sandhill cranes, and other shotgun only birds with a slug gun since I don't have a bird dog or decoys. I also prefer looking down an optic compared to wing shooting. In Wyoming you can't hunt those birds with a rifle.

Usually less than 25 feet!

If the waterfowl is sitting on the water at distance…..be sure to hold far enough below the bird for your trajectory at that range! Or so I've been told ……by a friend! 😉

A high powered rifle round just beneath a bird sitting on the water, will very effectively kill the bird without meat damage. Failing to hold low enough…..no duck for Duck Gumbo! According to my friend! 😉 memtb
Thanks for the info!

Well ya could just buy a chicken or a turkey, at the store and shoot it thru the shoulder/wing area. Then cook it up and see if the bone fragments in ur turkey sandwich bother ya any.

I'm tossing around the idea of hunting pheasants, duck, geese, Sandhill cranes, and other shotgun only birds with a slug gun since I don't have a bird dog or decoys. I also prefer looking down an optic compared to wing shooting. In Wyoming you can't hunt those birds with a rifle.

Yep pretty much turkeys and grouse only! memtb

Depending on where you are hunting and the time of year and without a dog of course, one might find that there are deer bedded in the fields. Therefore, one needs a double barrel shotgun having one barrel with slugs.