long range short action recommendations

Shane1

Can any of you machine a savage single shot action to work with a detachable mag? Comparing the single shot to a repeater I have it doesn't look like a lot of work but I really don't know. I have the stock and dbm, being a center feed it wouldn't need to much of a feed ramp. Gun is a 223 if it matters. If anyone is willing to give it a shot for a reasonable amount please let me know. The local gun stores won't take it on trade and I've had no luck selling it, apparently no one wants a single shot. It's a right bolt left port target action. If you wanna re-chamber it to 22-250ai while your at it price that work as well. Thanks, Shane.

Re: need single shot sav action machined to repeater

How much do you want for it ? The work is going to cost more than the difference between prices of single shot vs multi shot actions.

A Target action new is $525 (stainless). A varmint action (Model 12 stainless) is $495, except that Savage stopped making them with the side bolt release. Only Jim from NSS has them ordered by batch from Savage and still sells them.

Send me a PM regarding your rifle and we can see if we can solve this "issue"...

I realise it will be more then the action price difference but as it sits I'm stuck with the whole gun in a single shot that's accurate as hell. The one thing I can't stand about it is the single shot part. I don't shoot sitting at a bench. So far since I haven't been able to sale or trade it I figured dumping some money in it would be better then letting it sit here and never get used. I bought it new before savage offered the target action in a repeater.only has a couple hundred rounds threw it. If it was a bare action it would be easier to get rid of to the bench rest crowd.

There used to be a time when single shots were not allowed in certain classes of bench rest shooting. Not having the bottom cut out makes the action way stronger and gave an unfair advantage.

The single shot version is highly sought for accuracy builds. Should be no shortage of guys willing to trade a repeater for your single shot receiver.

Seems to be a a lot of people that think single shots are better for long range accuracy builds so maybe a re-barrel would be a good option in a caliber I could use more. How about shooting me some prices on a re-barrel and correct bolt head in something along the lines of 7wsm or any other cartridge that will fit in this short action single shot that would work for long range target and hunting. Wild cat would be fine so long as brass was some what available. I would like to stay 6.5 to 7mm. 24-26" long, varmint contour, muzzle threaded 5/8x24. I'm not finding much in the pre-fits for the large shank. Thanks for the help, looking forward to doing business with one of you excellent gunsmiths.

Go over to savageshooters.com and I can almost promise you there is someone there who will trade you or buy your action. The last single shot action I had sold in about 5 hours.

Take your $ and buy a wrench, vise and some tooling (headspace gauges) and do it yourself... There is a mountain of info on Savage barrel swaps. Fundamentals are very easy to understand and what you dont, ask. It's not rocket science.

Your single shot with a proper bolt head will fire most anything. If you dont mind using the bolt release to allow longer cartridges you can shoot anything you want. You have the gun. You can buy quality pre-fits in anything. Bolt heads are avail from Savage and you only need the other two to shoot anything you want.....

Good luck

Is your current rifle a model 10/11/12 (short action) or 110/111/112 (long action)?

If long action, I have a 110 model in 223 repeater and willing to trade.

PM me if interested.

Is your current rifle a model 10/11/12 (short action) or 110/111/112 (long action)?

If long action, I have a 110 model in 223 repeater and willing to trade.

PM me if interested.

Model 12, target short action, right bolt left port. Savage calls it a model 12 lrpv.

Unless I am mistaken, Savage did not make the target (single shot) as a long action, ever. I would grab one of those in a heartbeat. But it looks like I have to save a bunch more fir a Stiller/Shilen.

Savage makes many models. Shane1 has, as he described, an LRPV in the right bolt/left port configuration.

Savage Arms

Model 12, target short action, right bolt left port. Savage calls it a model 12 lrpv.

do you realize what you have?

* probably the straightest factory action ever made

* 3.2 times stiffer than a standard magazine action

* better trigger

* the fastest lock time short of a Remington 788

* Rifles are so accurate, that they are banned from most factory class shoots!
gary

do you realize what you have?

* probably the straightest factory action ever made

* 3.2 times stiffer than a standard magazine action

* better trigger

* the fastest lock time short of a Remington 788

* Rifles are so accurate, that they are banned from most factory class shoots!
gary

Sin Arms and the rest of you guys have talked me into keeping it and re-barrelling it into a long range hammer of some sort. I was thinking along the lines of a 6.5 or 7mm short mag. What do you all think we should turn it into?? I need to stay 30 cal or smaller so I can run my suppressor on it. Thanks for the push on keeping it before I did something stupid.

Sin Arms and the rest of you guys have talked me into keeping it and re-barrelling it into a long range hammer of some sort. I was thinking along the lines of a 6.5 or 7mm short mag. What do you all think we should turn it into?? I need to stay 30 cal or smaller so I can run my suppressor on it. Thanks for the push on keeping it before I did something stupid.

Now I really like the .257AI necked up to 6.5mm. Not the fastest round out there, but just a good all around round. But I've also kind of gotten onto the 6.5WSM band wagon. Nothing but a 270WSM necked down to .264. Get the fast twist barrel and shoot those .62B/C bullets father than you can see! With this round, your probably going to have to open the ports up a little bit. I just this a 130 grain bullet at 3250fps is going to seriously work. Of course the 7mm WSM would be a great choice as well. Get yourself a 30" barrel with a bunch of Magpro, and have fun.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.