Short action DBM in long action

geocodyrgia

Ok, I know this is a weird situation so thanks for any input. I have an old stagger-feed Savage 110 flat back that I picked up as a project gun, thinking to turn it into a 270 WSM, 7 SAUM or 6.5 PRC. Through my research I found out I couldn't put a DBM on it because the magazine well cut wasnt long enough to accommodate a DBM setup made for the Savage long actions (the bolt travels about 1/4-1/2 inch behind the back of the magazine well cut). I'm sure I could get the action milled, but I'm not sure I want to put that kind of money into it and definitely don't trust myself enough with a dremel.

Being that everything im looking to do could be accomplished with a mid-length DBM setup is there an option worth considering to have a Savage long action stock that could be cut to accommodate a short or mid-length DBM and solve this situation?

Thanks for helping me get creative or put my mind to rest if this is just unreasonable!

CDI used to build long action Savage bottom metal for a short action magazine, no longer produced but might find a used one somewhere. You could also use the two piece short action bottom metal and fab an extension for the trigger guard, inlet a fixing point into the stock, or drill another screw hole in the action for the bottom metal I think.

Milling the action and running standard long action bottom metal is likely the simplest solution and gives you the extra length in the magazine.